Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 30 amp main fuse relay keeps blowing in the junction box my bike (well its actually a trike) is based on a 93 vn 750 also the starter relay was making a buzzing noise even when the ignition was turned off, any ideas??

cheers

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts
Just a stab at it but a short in the starter relay or the ignition switch...or the wire to them?

Try disconnecting possible causes and see if the fuse stops blowing. I had a bike that kept doing that and it turned out to be a bare wire grounding out in the headlight shell...but I would start with componets first.

KM

·
Now what
400 Posts
There's a wire harness that runs from one side of the bike to the other, under the seat. On my bike it had been tied down so tight, it was rubbing on the head of a screw. I loosened up the harness and fixed that problem.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
if the relay keeps buzzing then for sure it's either a stuck relay or a short in the wire running to it. good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers lads the starter relay and connections to it are in pretty bad shape so have ordered a new one once it arrives will sort out wiring as well

cheers

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
cheers lads the starter relay and connections to it are in pretty bad shape so have ordered a new one once it arrives will sort out wiring as well

cheers
Disconnect the two small trigger wires (primary circuit connector) to the starter solenoid/relay, and attach some small jumper wires direct from the battery to test its function. If you hear a single click, it is probably still good.

For a definative test, disconnect the large cables leading to the battery and starter motor, and attach the leads of an ammeter to the relay terminals (secondary circuit). If you get a single click when applying power to the trigger circuit, and a reading of 0 (zero) resistance, the relay is good.

No click, or a reading greater than zero ohms indicates a faulty relay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts