Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Orleans has risen from the rust to become almost-a-motorcycle!! :pepper: I took her out this afternoon for a few spins around the block - still some kinks to work out with the brakes (they're a little spongy), the throttle cables (they're a little lax), and the ACCT on the left side (lax...sense a pattern here?), but she runs!! And the clutch appears to be ok.

Gotta leave for LA for a week tomorrow, so this is a high note on which to head out of town. Thanks to everyone for your help so far - more to come!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Lookin' perty shiny there, Cindy !! :smiley_th
You've rejuvenated Orlean's well. Good to her she's runnin'.
Aside from the minor tweaking that needs done, I'd say it's a job well done!!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
That is great news.

·
Geek
872 Posts
:rockon: :pepper: WOO HOO Congrats :smiley_th

·
Registered
35 Posts
ok it looks good but im just guessing on why its called orleans and good job on getting it running.....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Cindy i hope it wasn't the ACCT that you got from me.. that ACCT you got from me has a 7 year old spring in it. i replaced all my Springs w/ TOC spring , it made a big difference. Good job on the bike!

John

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ok it looks good but im just guessing on why its called orleans and good job on getting it running.....
Hyper named her after I posted pics of the sand that I was finding in various orafices of the bike - lots under the fenders, all gummed up in the oil that was leaking out of the head gasket, and even inside parts of the wiring harness. I thought I might have had a Katrina survivor on my hands, but the consensus was, "Probably not." That said, it was also agreed that she'd taken a beating, but was on the comeback trail. Too bad the real NO couldn't get on her feet within 6 months :(

And, nope, wasn't your ACCT, John. I actually went ahead and replaced that spring with a TOC spring, just in case. I think I just didn't wind it up tightly enough.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Looking real good there Cindy!
Couple of finishing touches you might consider for those rainy days, don't know if you know about them..
The faded plastic, like on the neck covers and radiator cover, can be made to look almost like new by dipping them in oil. I use the used oil from an oil change. Plastic is a petroleum product and the oil seems to rejuvenate them. Dip them and hang them up to drip off the excess then wipe down good.
Also I noticed Orleans has an engine guard. I recently picked up a black engine guard for my project bike and I bet.. if you can get that one off, you could get it powdercoated. Powdercoating is a whole lot cheaper than chroming.
You have a bike that you can be proud of and you can say.. "I did it myself!" (with a little help from some of my shade tree mechanic friends)

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Congratulations--The pride of owning/riding a bike you resurrected. Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Cindy -

Congrats! All that time, effort, swearing, bleeding, swearing, and money is well worth while.

Like Dianna said, there's nothing like knowing you did it yourself.

Jon

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
Congradulations Cindy! Looks great, I know you are proud...

Looks like I'd better get my butt in gear.....

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Congradulations Cindy! Looks great, I know you are proud...

Looks like I'd better get my butt in gear.....
Or at least your bike......

Jon

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, folks! I wish I weren't sitting here in LAX right now, but that's the wya it goes (gotta pay for the stable)_. Dianna, thanks for the tip on the plastic parts - they've been bugging me 'cause they're dull, but still functional. .I'm trying to say it's all about function, but, ya know, form counts for a little something. I'll try the oil trick. I also need to paint her - clearly the rear fender is a different color from the rest of the bike. But that'll be another project for another day.

It is exciting to see an almost -final product!! Beats the heck out of all the head-work for which my company pays me, and for which most of my reports never see the light of day.

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
[/QUOTE]It is exciting to see an almost -final product!! Beats the heck out of all the head-work for which my company pays me, and for which most of my reports never see the light of day.[/QUOTE]

We appreciate all the reports on Orleans as will all the others that will look up "how to's" in the future....

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is exciting to see an almost -final product!! Beats the heck out of all the head-work for which my company pays me, and for which most of my reports never see the light of day.[/QUOTE]

We appreciate all the reports on Orleans as will all the others that will look up "how to's" in the future....[/QUOTE]

Aw, shucks! Thanks, Carl! The job is clearly just a way to support my habits... Hey, did you place an Ayers order yet?

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
Not yet, If you need anything let me know, I'm going to send in an order at the end of the week.

I had to back off the bike a week. Saturday I got the dreaded call from a friend at work who went on a ride and crashed...I had to go pick him up from the Hospital, 2 broke bones in his left arm. Now, everyones in a tizzy...

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm proud of you and also inspired by you too! Great work!
Talk about inspired! Heck, anyone who'll go pull apart a teeny tiny switch just to see how it works and to help a Forum member...you got me beat, Fergy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts