Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't exactly the best place for this, but you all have been so great with help with the Vulcan, I thought maybe I could bounce a question about another bike off the sounding board:

My wife's 1984 Honda VF700 Magna has 25,000 miles on it and during a fairly recent ride, I decided to get on her a bit. In first gear, at 9,000 rpm (redline is 11,000), I noticed the transmission(?) seemed to slip...bike lost a little pull and the tach swung up quickly. I was able to repeat this once (just to make sure I wasn't imagining). At lower rpms the bike is fine and I can't feel any problem at power. I posted this on a Magna forum and I was told that the early Magna trannies were crap and fail at 30,000 miles and that's that. Just thought I'd see if you all would agree with that or if there's likely another culprit at play here. My wife loves her bike, but if it's the transmission, when it goes, the bike is done...hoping there might be a cheaper fix.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Check the clutch springs, trans will either not go into gear, grind, or do nothing. Only a clutch can slip.

BTW, my buddy has an 85, what a blast that V4 is. I rode a V65, even a bigger blast.

Jon

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
The early trannys were crap because the oil was not getting everywhere it was intended. The fix was to drill a hole in a specific place in the tranny, through two layers of metal, then plug the outside hole. The idea was to open up a new channel for the oil to access a dry area.
There used to be a Sab-Mag board where that info and more was published. I have not followed that link for a long time. It should probably still exist. Sab-Mag was for Sabre, Magna. The two bikes had identical engines.

The bike is very collectable...has a "cult following". Somebody will take it off your hands if you want to part with it. I saw a V4 just the other day...wanted it badly. Read some history at this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Sabre_V4

1 - 3 of 3 Posts