Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any machine shops in the Cincy-Dayton-Columbus area that would be interested in making some lowering brackets for me? I have the parts drawn up in AutoCad format by a Professional Engineer. Just need to find a machine shop that doesn't want a DOD charge number or that wants a 100 count minimum order.

Thanks

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
A band saw and drill should do the trick I would think. If you dont have access to the band saw a hack saw should work. Why can't you do it yourself?

Peace :beerchug:

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I don't have any info on machine shops, but I am always looking for an excellent/trustworthy mechanic/shop in the Cincinnati area!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
or that wants a 100 count minimum order.
That's the tough part now a days. Shops want to be able to make as much $$$'s as they can, and small quantity jobs don't really do that.
Sure, it's a simple part, and wouldn't take much to make, but they don't see it that way.

You might have better luck by finding an employee at a shop who has his own home shop.
Or, maybe try finding machining forums in your area and see if you can find someone local with a home shop.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wkrizan: The point is that when my a$$ is on the line, literally, I don't want to take a risk. These brackets, while simple, could be fatal if they fail. I could screw something up and not even know it. All it takes is making an outside bolt hole radius too thin and a big pothole. Plus on top of it, I need to vet out the drawing and test out the two designs because if I do end up selling these, then I need to make sure the design and drawings are 100% accurate or I'm gonna be eating the overhead or much worse. I also need to find a good machine shop because I have other, much more complicated projects on the drawing board.

EasyRector: I hear that man. I would easily go as far south as Middletown or West Chester for a good mechanic whom I could trust. And I'm up in Dayton! lol

hyperbuzzin: Yeah unfortunately that's true. But I need a shop because I've also go some triple trees on the board and a design for adjustable forward controls as well. So if ppl end up wanting them, I'll need a place that can fill orders and has the kind of machines most home shops don't have.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
hyperbuzzin: Yeah unfortunately that's true. But I need a shop because I've also go some triple trees on the board and a design for adjustable forward controls as well. So if ppl end up wanting them, I'll need a place that can fill orders and has the kind of machines most home shops don't have.
Well, yeah, most don't, but some do. The easiest way to find them is Machinist forums.
I had a Machinist site I used to go to a good bit. If it's still on my puter at home I'll see if I can help find some one or some place that might be able to do the job.
If no one there can/will do it, maybe they'll be able to suggest some place that will.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
wkrizan: The point is that when my a$$ is on the line, literally, I don't want to take a risk. These brackets, while simple, could be fatal if they fail. I could screw something up and not even know it. All it takes is making an outside bolt hole radius too thin and a big pothole. Plus on top of it, I need to vet out the drawing and test out the two designs because if I do end up selling these, then I need to make sure the design and drawings are 100% accurate or I'm gonna be eating the overhead or much worse. I also need to find a good machine shop because I have other, much more complicated projects on the drawing board.
I gotcha, youre looking to possibly mass produce them for a potential profit. If that was the case then I would be looking into a shop as well, so that way if anything does go wrong you will have an out source to blame. As for my personal, I would prefer to do it myself and that way I dont have to rely on someone else doing a perfect job. As we all know this isnt the case in most circumstances. Great idea and wishing you luck with it.

Peace :beerchug:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hyperbuzzin: Point taken. I'll see what I can find as far as machinist's sites. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

wkrizan: There's definitely a possibility for it. It just depends on the demand I guess. But I do have other business related stuff that I'll need to have made too. I have tons of engineers of all types around; mechanical, aerospace, electrical, and I'm a network and systems engineer myself. LOL I can have a part designed and prototyped very quickly, just getting it made is the most frustrating part of the process.

slimvulcanrider: awesome! You think I should send him a PM?

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is a directory for manufacturing!!! damned if can remember the name of it. Its been awhile lol but good luck. NE OH still has a good bit of machine shops also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe try to search in some online site like google search I think you can find some little information about machine shop. However, ask some help to your friends I think they can help you for looking some machine shop. Or maybe try to follow other member says to you here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts