Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got these brake pads off of eBay (out of Arizona,) has anyone used these before? They were $18 + $10 shipping via priority mail (all four pads.) They are organic, semi-metallic, looks like they have copper in them, and probably tin. The friction material is black, as are the metal backings. I'll report back in a couple of weeks. I'm not too worried about some decreased friction, this might actually make the brakes a little smoother. The stock pads look like an aramid compound (Kevlar) to me, anybody know for sure?

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely Chinese. The description says "organic," and "soft" is mentioned several times in their sales pitch, though that doesn't necessarly have anything to do with friction. I'll measure the rotor thickness as I put them on. I only ride 800 miles a month, so it will be a while before I can report on their life.

Does anyone know the stock pad thickness? These look a little thin and I've never seen a stock pad up close.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I don't know what the pad thickness is supposed to be new, if these are Chinese, they will likely be junk. I have yet to see any kind of motor vehicle or parts from China that wasn't. Don't think I would trust my life to them.

It is not possible for them to be both organic and semi-metallic at the same time. I use EBC organic pads, and they cost a LOT more than that. But they last, work great, and don't grind up the rotors. Metallic and semi-metallic pads are known for grinding up rotors, and VN750 rotors cost $270 EACH!!!

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Jerry where do you recommend ordering those pads? I'm planning on replacing mine on spring and yhe rotors are a concern for me as well. BTW are they smoother than the semi metallic?

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I get mine from denniskirk.com, but most online parts places carry them. They are just common EBC ORGANIC brake pads. I have used them for as long as I can remember, and the last 50,000 miles on my VN750 I have only had one rotor, it is still smooth as glass and shows almost no wear. Plenty of stopping power. They last about 12,000 miles, but you can buy a lot of brake pads for the price of one rotor. Plus if my rotor ever did wear out (it won't, engine will go first) I have the other rotor to replace it with.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Thanks, good to know. Yeah I was thinking about the extra rotor from that mod that you did. An added benefit :smiley_th

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't know what the pad thickness is supposed to be new, if these are Chinese, they will likely be junk. I have yet to see any kind of motor vehicle or parts from China that wasn't. Don't think I would trust my life to them.

It is not possible for them to be both organic and semi-metallic at the same time. I use EBC organic pads, and they cost a LOT more than that. But they last, work great, and don't grind up the rotors. Metallic and semi-metallic pads are known for grinding up rotors, and VN750 rotors cost $270 EACH!!!
Do you have a PN for the EBC pads? Mine are going to need replacing soon.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts