Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my rebuild kit in the mail today for my '86. Bought it from ebay under the title "KAWASAKI VULCAN 750 1986-1990 FRONT MASTER CYLINDER REBUILD KIT" Went to put it in and noticed that the new piston was a bit larger than the one I took out, so I measured them at the seal journals:

Old one .495 inches
New one: .630 inches (no way that's going in the same hole)

So my question to the forum: Did I get ripped, or do I have some sort of odd-ball master cylinder?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Is this a square MC that you are rebuilding or the round one? I'm guessing that they have different pistons and you got one for round and you needed a square kit... or the other way around.

'86 part number for the piston is 43020-1079 PISTON-COMP-BRAKE - Square MC

and for the round one on my '00 is 43020-1054 PISTON-COMP-BRAKE,FR.. If you have a round MC then it's been replaced at one time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a square MC that you are rebuilding or the round one? I'm guessing that they have different pistons and you got one for round and you needed a square kit... or the other way around.

To my knowledge they all had square ones until 87 or 88. But maybe not? I'll look into that more.

·
Registered
856 Posts
they had square until 1990.. 1991 was a change over year, and 1992+ all were round
Yup, that's the way it supposed to be unless someone went and swapped some parts out for a repair and put the round MC on the older bike.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Yup, that's the way it supposed to be unless someone went and swapped some parts out for a repair and put the round MC on the older bike.
yup x2 !
William Tech

1 - 6 of 6 Posts