Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again!

So I just ordered one of the trunks from sears, hoping to use it on the coming trip to DC. However, I realized I don't have a luggage rack so now I'm on the hunt. I found 2 on ebay but wonder if other models will fit. How do these mount? It's very difficult to see in the pictures available.

And if anyone has a rack they're willing to part with, I'm in the market.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Kawasaki model ties into the (4) existing fasteners that connect the sissy bar to the side rails and (2) existing holes in the bracket at the top of the fender.

It might be possible to find another model that would WORK, but I would be shocked if there's another model with the same interface.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Yeah, I have the Kawasaki rack, and it is definitely designed specifically for the Vulcan 750. It is unlikely you would find anything else that even comes close. If you are an expert welder/fabricator, you might be able to make or modify something, otherwise you're stuck with the Kawasaki rack.

Though I have only seen one model, there are apparently two. Kawasaki changed the design some years back. Not sure why.

It would be difficult to mount a trunk on the Kawasaki rack, because it is so small and close to the backrest, and the backrest angles backward. I also have the extended backrest, and use it and the rack as a way of attaching a T Bag setup. Jerry.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Yeah, I have the Kawasaki rack, and it is definitely designed specifically for the Vulcan 750. It is unlikely you would find anything else that even comes close. If you are an expert welder/fabricator, you might be able to make or modify something, otherwise you're stuck with the Kawasaki rack.

Though I have only seen one model, there are apparently two. Kawasaki changed the design some years back. Not sure why.

It would be difficult to mount a trunk on the Kawasaki rack, because it is so small and close to the backrest, and the backrest angles backward. I also have the extended backrest, and use it and the rack as a way of attaching a T Bag setup. Jerry.
Actually it is quite easy to mount a trunk to the factory rack. The base that comes with the trunk is about the same size as the rack, takes about 30min to install. :smiley_th

·
Registered
166 Posts
didnt you fab your own seat doing away with the stock sissy bar?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Actually it is quite easy to mount a trunk to the factory rack. The base that comes with the trunk is about the same size as the rack, takes about 30min to install. :smiley_th
While I see no reason why it would be a problem to mount a trunk on the factory rack itself, the backrest will get in the way. It takes up some of the room on the rack, because it angles back over it. While I'm sure it can be done (virtually anything can be done if you are determined enough), it will not be really easy. Hard trunks have hinged lids, and the backrest will prevent the lid from opening, unless you mount it a ways back on the rack. You may need to rig some kind of an extension. For temporary use, I would just attach a piece of plywood to the rack, big enough to stick out a ways behind the rack, and then attach the trunk to the plywood. If I wanted a permanent installation, I would probably take the rack to a place that does such things, and have it modified (made longer). Since welding would destroy the chrome, I'd probably sand down the chrome on the whole rack and paint it. Jerry.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did mod a seat and did away with the sissy bar. That won't be an option. The issue thus far is that I rigged up a luggage rack but it hugs so closely to the tail light that I can't get the mounting bracket under the luggage rack as it's intended.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
While I see no reason why it would be a problem to mount a trunk on the factory rack itself, the backrest will get in the way. It takes up some of the room on the rack, because it angles back over it. While I'm sure it can be done (virtually anything can be done if you are determined enough), it will not be really easy. Hard trunks have hinged lids, and the backrest will prevent the lid from opening, unless you mount it a ways back on the rack. You may need to rig some kind of an extension. For temporary use, I would just attach a piece of plywood to the rack, big enough to stick out a ways behind the rack, and then attach the trunk to the plywood. If I wanted a permanent installation, I would probably take the rack to a place that does such things, and have it modified (made longer). Since welding would destroy the chrome, I'd probably sand down the chrome on the whole rack and paint it. Jerry.
Actually Lance mounted his with no problems, no rigging, no special mounting, nothing...nadda. The back rest does not get in the way and the Mutazu truck fits right up against the backrest and mounts to the luggage rack just fine. It's as if this trunk was made for our bike. After seeing it on Lance's bike, I am ordering one for myself soon since I have the GA hard bags and the trunk matches nicely.

Sorry Jerry, your not gonna win on this on. I've personally seen it done without any issues or mods. That's why I'm buying the trunk. It's basically "plug and play" so to speak.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You guys are really making me want to dump some more money down and get the rack / trunk, lol. I still think that 80 bucks for a new barely 8 inch luggage rack is a little ridiculous though. I've already spent more money on mods then I should have this year, lol.

·
Bandito
160 Posts
Something is wrong with this picture when I could buy working carbs for cheaper than the stinkin luggage rack.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Something is wrong with this picture when I could buy working carbs for cheaper than the stinkin luggage rack.
Yea, your telling me, lol. You know damn well that it's only going to get worse as time goes on. I should probably just suck it up and do it.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
If you are patient and wait long enough (years?), you may find a used one at a reasonable price, but they don't show up very often. My patience ran out and I forked over for a new one, as that's all I could find.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Need photos of rack on graph paper to make design drawings

Could we get someone with a luggage rack, to set it on some 1/4" or 1/2" graph paper and snap some digital photos in several views, to act as design patterns?
I took a welding course at the college and built a swing set for my kids many years ago, but have not done much since then.
If I can find some suitable tubing I will try to MIG weld a rack up, or get my brother who is a journeyman welder, to do it if I keep blowing holes in the tubing.
I`m sure there are other members here who could build a rack too. If it is going to be under a trunk, it doesn`t need to be chromed. Just paint or powdercoat it.

What do you guys with more welding experience think? Is this a do-able project, or am I on a fools errand, trying to weld light tubing needed for this rack?

·
Registered
76 Posts
i got one i took off mine if your interested i guarantee to fit and its in great shape

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Could we get someone with a luggage rack, to set it on some 1/4" or 1/2" graph paper and snap some digital photos in several views, to act as design patterns?
I took a welding course at the college and built a swing set for my kids many years ago, but have not done much since then.
If I can find some suitable tubing I will try to MIG weld a rack up, or get my brother who is a journeyman welder, to do it if I keep blowing holes in the tubing.
I`m sure there are other members here who could build a rack too. If it is going to be under a trunk, it doesn`t need to be chromed. Just paint or powdercoat it.

What do you guys with more welding experience think? Is this a do-able project, or am I on a fools errand, trying to weld light tubing needed for this rack?
I'm not sure how light the tubing is on the F&S rack, but it's much heavier than electrical conduit. I believe it was Knifemaker that stood on his to change a light bulb. I'm thinking heavy tubing and a MIG welder would be a good combination.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok. I've been looking for a new or used rack for my 750 for a couple months. Basically i was stalling to find the best price. it seems at the beginning of the month, all those unsold racks got sucked into a vortex of some sort. Now it is impossible to find one at all. Does anyone know of a way to make one or where I may find a used one?
thanks for any and all help you guys can give.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
^ Read the thread buddy. Or even just this page. There's people talking about making luggage racks AND even a dude with a used one. Doesn't get much easier than that! Unless we got some of that canned meat going on...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts