Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not installing a luggage rack but I'm doing a modification that if it turns out I'll post a picture. My question is when I look at a picture of the luggage rack it has two ears on it that attach under the seat and I assume screws are put thru the ears and threaded to the plate under the seat. I tried to install 1/8" aluminum plate into the plate under the seat. I beveled the screw holes so the screw heads are flush with the plate. My problem is that the screws thru the trunk do not line up with the seat brackets because of the 1/8 inch plate. How do they get around this problem using the luggage rack ?

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
No prob, glad to help.

I assure you that on a stock bike, it all fit together just fine, without any modifications needed.

Good luck with your project. -Sloppy

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No prob, glad to help.

I assure you that on a stock bike, it all fit together just fine, without any modifications needed.

Good luck with your project. -Sloppy
My bike and seat are stock. Somewhere I have a clearance problem. My project is done other than getting the seat attached to the trunk. I never said this to a guy before but " NICE RACK "
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I'm talking to myself. If I slide the seat on the bike everything lines up with the trunk screws. I add 1/8 " and nothing lines up. With the Kaw luggage rack it looks like they added about 1/2 inch, ears and head of bolt, and everything lines up. I don't get it.
Off to get a drink. LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Sloppy, Thank you very much. There is no freaking way my seat would ever fit with the setup as shown. I had to grind down the head of a standard 8mm screw plus bevel the plate to even come close to the seat bracket screws lining up. I'm stumped.
Photos of what you are attempting would help. The stock rack is not a "plate", but carefully bent tubes that end in a thin flat strap. The seat itself can be relieved to fit the bolts if needed BTW... Corbin and Mustang seats usually need this done....stock seat just bolts up fine.

You must have something interfering with the seat.... But again can't help you without photos.

KM

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Photos of what you are attempting would help. The stock rack is not a "plate", but carefully bent tubes that end in a thin flat strap. The seat itself can be relieved to fit the bolts if needed BTW... Corbin and Mustang seats usually need this done....stock seat just bolts up fine.

You must have something interfering with the seat.... But again can't help you without photos.

KM
Thanks KM. I guess I'll try to relieve the seat above the holes where the bolts would go. Once I get that done and the seat installed I'll post some pictures. It might be a crazy modification but it also might be usefull

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

KM
Sent you a pm

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
LOL "nice rack" :doh:

-Sloppy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts