Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've got new bolts and the rack is in all nice and snug. Now the issue is that the black, plastic tool box (whatever it is called eludes me at the moment) will not fit. The four rack side bolts are SNUG but the tool box is wider than the distance between the bolt heads by almost 1/4" so it won't slide into place. The new bolt heads are the same size as the old bolt heads and the new bolts are a tad longer but not too long as to bottom-out up against whatever is inside. Comments?

Reactions: NIBiker

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
It's a tight fit, had to tip mine a certain way, then push it down and in. Don't remember exactly, but yeah it's a tight fit. Only went in one way though.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Go ahead and tighten the bolts, might gain a little room. The bolts do break easy, so don't overtighten.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just wondering about it. It seems odd that stock, factory equipment would be such a problem to install. If I have to notch the box I will since mine is not waterproof anyway. I don't carry anything in it. I was just surprised that such a simple operation is having an issue.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Didn't cut mine, I think it does squeeze the sides in a little. Maybe the bottom left corner first, then work the other corner in. I keep my papers in there, sometimes an odd something or other that I'm not stashing in the saddlebags. Have four side pockets on the bags, so lots of places to put things.

When I put the Mustang seat on, had to cut a big notch in the fiberglass to clear the rack. Took a couple of rides and sold the seat, didn't like it at all, too painful.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wound up laying a scrap piece of wood on top of it and smacked the sin out of that with a hammer. First one side then another and it eventually squeezed all the way in. Should I have to later on remove it for some reason I'm going to hate the process of getting it out. But for now, its all done.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok, so I've got new bolts and the rack is in all nice and snug. Now the issue is that the black, plastic tool box (whatever it is called eludes me at the moment) will not fit. The four rack side bolts are SNUG but the tool box is wider than the distance between the bolt heads by almost 1/4" so it won't slide into place. The new bolt heads are the same size as the old bolt heads and the new bolts are a tad longer but not too long as to bottom-out up against whatever is inside. Comments?

I used 6mm by 25mm long stainless button headed Allen screws for mine, the threads in the alloy side bars that it bolts to art great so go easy, one was stripped on mine so I fitted 6mm helicoils to all 4 and all is good, the toolbox will go in past them!
Good luck!
Neill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't remember in all my reading here that I'd come across anyone speaking of how tight a fit it is so I wanted to see if anyone else experienced the same thing. Now, if I could only find a certain something else as tight as this! But I won't speak about that, lest I offend someone with more tender sensibilities.

Reactions: eusjma

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just installed a used luggage rack onto my Vulcan, but I can't get the tool box back into place. I had trouble with bolts first, I had to remove all washers, etc. Now the issue is that the bottom corners of the box hit the bars for the luggage rack. I don't want to cut on the tool box. Anyone else have this issue? I'll try to take pictures tonight.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a luggage rack on mine. The rack was a very small pain to install, but the tool box went right back on. I have taken the rack and the box off a few times, to install a Mustang seat, to put an extended back rest on, and recently I was installing additional break lights and took the box and seat off so I could see better. It has always gone right back in. Its really odd that everyone's factory parts are that different. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I remember having to force mine in when I installed my rack. It was definitely tight getting it in place.
Adding to my own post here...

I should have also pointed out that my rack (bought used) was 'tweaked' slightly. Meaning there was a bit of an unevenness (sp?) in the parts that bolted it to the fender/frame. That could have been the reason my toolbox had a little issue getting in place.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Finally got my luggage rack installed and every thing back on. It is a very snug fit requiring me to use flat screws rather than a hex head bolt. Still seemed a lot more snug of a fit than it should have been.

I also installed an Emgo top case which is removable if I don't want to take it with me or need to bring it inside. The only issues are I have to remove the case to open it as it opens from the back towards the front. Lastly I need room between the rear of the case and the sissy bar in order to open/remove the case. I secured it to the rack with thick 4" mending plate.

I have hard side bags t o put on as well. Looks like the factory hangers just arrived on the ole' porch step.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts