Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't really plan to tour on my VN750, so I don't really need a luggage rack. Here is one that I have in fair condition. With some elbow-grease these could be cleaned up a bit I am sure.

Please reply to save your "place" publicly, and PM me directly for actual purchase discussions.

Looking for $80+shipping obo

·
Registered
36 Posts
pm sent

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sold pending payment

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
holy crap! that came out nice tanner...nice job!
To be honest I'm really happy with the result. It took some effort, but it was worth it!

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Ebay must have started something new. I looked at the page and a popup said "4 people were viewing this per hour", never saw that before.

Did clean up well in the pics, but how long will that last? Nothing personal, but I would be disappointed to pay very much for that and have it revert to brown the first week. Once they get that far, the rust is deeply and permanently rooted.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cleaned my original forks with this method and they still look the same, and this was in Dec '11. /shrug

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just take some aluminium foil, dip it in water, and scrub the affected chrome. You can either ball it up, or leave it flat if you are afraid of scratches (chrome is way harder than aluminium, so it isn't a concern for me really).

Keep the area wet, and scrub vigorously with the foil. It causes a chemical reaction taking all of that lovely rust away.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Just take some aluminium foil, dip it in water, and scrub the affected chrome. You can either ball it up, or leave it flat if you are afraid of scratches (chrome is way harder than aluminium, so it isn't a concern for me really).

Keep the area wet, and scrub vigorously with the foil. It causes a chemical reaction taking all of that lovely rust away.
Should you apply something to the chrome after finished scrubbing with the foil?

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Wax, then wax it again. And always wax after chrome polish too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did you try getting any of the rust off first any other way? Or just started with the foil-truely looks great!

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Did you try getting any of the rust off first any other way? Or just started with the foil-truely looks great!
I want strait to the foil method. I didn't bother with any chemicals or cleaners. I do agree with Spockster that you should wax the chrome afterwards to protect it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts