Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been stalking this site for awhile now. I have learned a lot. My 94 Vulcan is finally in need of a stator and r/r. I think i'm going with the TPE stator and switching to a MOSFET regulator. Like most everybody funds are very limited so I want to do this as cheap as possible. I've read various posts on here about doing the switch, i'm pretty confident in my mechanical ability to basically pull the engine. However my electrical ability is mediocre at best. If I buy a FH010BA r/r do I need a wiring kit also or can I piece it back together using the old wiring? I relocated my r/r to under the left side cover. Can I do the MOSFET cheaper than a stock type? I don't want to do this more than once, I just want my bike to be reliable and not be afraid of it dyeing again. Any and all help with this job will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cliff

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I would suggest getting the full install kit for the MOSFET. Takes any guesswork out of it.

There is a wire you need to splice from your existing harness (for headlight relay). There are posts about that that you'll be able to find easily with pics/etc :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, I kinda figured getting the wiring kit would be easiest. Is this example all I need as far as wiring or is there more to it than this?

I know of the yellow headlight wire. What else do I need? Is there any gaskets, seals, or hardware that is needed for the stator change? I'm getting my stator rebuilt by TPE. Thank you thtanner for your reply.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Hmm, there's a third reply here.. I just can't see it.

Moderators.. need to approve his post?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Best deal I've seen on them, yet.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for not replying sooner, my computer developed issues. I got the stator removed, that wasn't fun. I sent it to TPE and ordered a new mosfet r/r off of ebay. Just waiting for everything to get delivered so I can try and put it back together again. I did end up removing the rear tire and shaft to give the engine more wiggle room. I really wish I had the money to do the ear shave at this point. Thanks for all the valuable info this site offers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have a phone number for TPE? I mailed him my stator on 7/21 and have emailed him a couple of times as to whether or not he received it and still no response. I emailed him prior to tearing my bike apart and had a response the next day about price and mailing info. I am beginning to think that maybe I should of bough an OEM one from a dealer. His website is down for a redesign or is he going out of business. Please help me. Thanks

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Does anyone have a phone number for TPE? I mailed him my stator on 7/21 and have emailed him a couple of times as to whether or not he received it and still no response. I emailed him prior to tearing my bike apart and had a response the next day about price and mailing info. I am beginning to think that maybe I should of bough an OEM one from a dealer. His website is down for a redesign or is he going out of business. Please help me. Thanks
He didn't go anywhere but turn-around was closer to 2 weeks for me.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Got mine done in early 2014, took about 2 weeks. Right now should be their busiest time.

Got nervous and called him back then, talked to him for quite a while. Seemed like a straight-up, no bs sort of guy. He also seemed truly concerned about putting out a good product, versus saving money using cheaper materials.

I recall someone else last year posting that it took about two weeks on theirs.

It's worth the wait, and I've never regretted getting the MOSFET kit either. This is the kit I used, except mine came from Roadstercycle.com: Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA Regulator Rectifier Kit Replaces FH012AA | eBay

So I just checked Roadstercycle and he has this notice on his page:

Guys beware of counterfeit FH020AA and FH012AA R/Rs on Ebay. If your not sure send me a picture and I can verify them by the castings.

I only sell Real OEM Shindengen FH020AA, SH775 and SH847
Home <---<< Roadstercycle website

Another good one to deal with, told me he's been a helicopter mechanic for many years. Don't know whatever happened to the Roadstercycle he built.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for some info. When he emailed me back, when I requested info, he said it was 4-11 days turn around. I never thought about counterfeit R/R's, but I guess they probably exist.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hi everyone, I've been stalking this site for awhile now. I have learned a lot. My 94 Vulcan is finally in need of a stator and r/r. I think i'm going with the TPE stator and switching to a MOSFET regulator. Like most everybody funds are very limited so I want to do this as cheap as possible. I've read various posts on here about doing the switch, i'm pretty confident in my mechanical ability to basically pull the engine. However my electrical ability is mediocre at best. If I buy a FH010BA r/r do I need a wiring kit also or can I piece it back together using the old wiring? I relocated my r/r to under the left side cover. Can I do the MOSFET cheaper than a stock type? I don't want to do this more than once, I just want my bike to be reliable and not be afraid of it dyeing again. Any and all help with this job will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cliff
My "91 VN with 34,500 km (about 21 K miles) is still running fine with the OEM r/r. It has been relocated down by the left passenger footpeg for better air flow/cooling. The r/r needs to be exposed to the wind for maximum cooling efficiency. If you have it located under the side cover, it will not have any breeze flowing over it. :(

IIRC the mosfet does not get as hot as the OEM style r/r, so this may not be such a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts