Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems as though some shorter shocks are the easiest way to go about lowering the scoot. What is the best way to go and how easy is it to do. Also.. does the front need to be lowered as well and what is the process there??

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
To maintain the same steering geometry, the front should be lowered along with the rear.

Two ways to do this. The zero dollar option is just to raise the fork tubes the needed amount in the fork clamps.

The cost more option is to buy a front end spring kit from Progressive that lowers the front end.

My choice would be to go for the springs. You can get them for under 100 bucks and they will help out the front end.

To be honest, even if you are not lowering the bike, replacing the stock fork springs with Progressive (non lowering) front springs is a great improvement in the bikes suspension.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I did on my vulcan..... bought the progressive shocks and fork springs. Make sure you get the HD shocks thou...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
replacing the rear shocks looks really simple.. how hard is the front spring replacement

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Not very hard, you can easely remove ths caps from the forkes and you will see a clip that holds it together.
You need to get the front wheel off the ground or it is very hard to do.
There is directions for fork seal replacement, that will give you half of what you need.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I purchased a set of Progressive 412's to drop the rear and raised the forks to drop the front.

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
I lowered mine with the 11" Progressive rears. Piece of cake. Lowers about 1.5 inches.
I have to find some time to do the front fork springs.
It is a good idea to do both for balance, but have been riding mine for quite a few miles and it handles awesome.
BTW, I have an extra pair of 412 series rears with maybe a few hundred miles on them I took off of my leggy sons bike.
I could let them go for $100.
**Sold the shocks to pittdave **

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Actually with the Vulcan's stock geometry, you can get away with lowering the rear only, you may notice the steering gets a little heavier, and the front end tends to fall into turns. Many bikes have more rake than the Vulcan, and by lowering the rear just a little, all you are doing is increasing the rake slightly. The trail will remain almost unchanged. The bike will actually be a little more stable going straight. Just don't do the opposite, and lower the front only. That will decrease the rake, and drastically alter the trail, resulting in a bike that is unstable at all speeds.

Another thing to remember is ground clearance. The stock Vulcan already doesn't have very much (I drag the pegs on a regular basis) and if you lower it you may not have enough cornering clearance.

Lowering a bike is not one of those "definitely don't do" things, but I would put some thought into it.

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
I'm a little bit short legged and lowering it plants my feet.
I run the larger rear tire and still ride two up, about 300 lbs, with no clearance problems.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just would like to have it a smidge lower so i am good and flat-footed at stops..not sorta flat.. so i think if i can get away with just the rear, i would do that

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
i dropped my rear about 4" over all, 10.5" shocks, 3" lowering shackles, and an oversize rear tire... as Jerry said, I track strait line real well, and the corners became easier for me.. I don't have ground clearance problems, but do have tire rub on harsh bumps... but that is going to change with my new fender

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
just would like to have it a smidge lower so i am good and flat-footed at stops..not sorta flat.. so i think if i can get away with just the rear, i would do that
I solved that without sacrificing cornering clearance and having to shorten the kickstand by.......

Just lowering the seat. The stock seat is way over padded. You can cut it down or find yourself a Corbin seat, which is got to be at least 2 inches lower than stock. I was not only "flat footed" with my 31 inseam, but was with bent knees.

KM

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just adding the Corbin seat will lower you that much?? That might be a selling point for me, besides getting the driver backrest. I think between 11.5 progressive 412s and the seat, I'll be in good shape

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Just adding the Corbin seat will lower you that much?? That might be a selling point for me, besides getting the driver backrest. I think between 11.5 progressive 412s and the seat, I'll be in good shape
I thnk some of it is the fact that the Corbin seat is also more narrow. This keeps your legs from being spread out as much.... Which translates to getting your legs down to the ground over a shorter distance.

I freaking loved my Corbin seat (and back rest) over the stock seat. Many find the seat too firm. But I think those of lighter weight and smaller stature tend to like the Corbin were those larger , uh, more "padded" riders find the Mustang more comfortable.

For those with cash, I should add that Corbin does still make CUSTOM seats, so if you want them to make your seat lower, narrower, or even heated they have those options.....along with color.

My seat was the "off the shelf" Corbin "Gunslinger" seat with removable backrest.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
uh.. 'padding' is not a problem for me..meed to work on that i know. i think the shocks and the seat will be my big personalization project if i decide not to move up to a bigger bike

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
do you have pics of that and comparisons to the stock seat?? I feel like i just want to be IN the bike a little more than ON the bike. What i have noticed in sitting on some larger bikes like the vn900 or vstar1100 is i am so much lower to the ground and feels more natural

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
i used suzuki savage shocks and raised the forks about 1 1/2 inches.i also used a two piece harley sporty seat.i have only dragged footpegs once but i was getting a little agressive.i will get some pics soon

1 - 20 of 29 Posts