Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been poking around in here this forum, but this is my first post.

I'm interested in lowering the rear of my stock 92 Vulcan 750. I looked at buying shorter springs, but first I don't have that kind of money to burn, and second I'd kind of like the challenge of a homemade mod.

I've googled for several hours and come up with something that looks pretty straight forward. I have the steel and the means to make the brackets.

I'm looking for a 2" - 2.5" drop in the rear then an oversized 170/80/15 to help a bit with the gear ratio. Final drop might be about 1.5" and I should fill the fender a little more.

The right side is a no-brainer. I had the idea then found pics to support the idea. I'm stuck as far as the left side and all the pics I see don't detail the left side. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is a plate from the stock mounting hole on the differential with a spacer to the rear axle under the castle nut. I'm not overly excited about adding a plate under the castle nut though.

IMG_2897 - My stock RH suspension
3602217.. - Modified RH suspension found on the internet
IMG_2900 - My stock LH suspension

Any ideas or pics would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No kidding!? Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, so you use the axle after all eh? Thanks guys, that's great!

I figure 1/4" plate will work, 3/8" plate might be better but I'm working against the axle length...... I'm not sure what you mean by getting the axle lengthened, but I'll take a look at it. Maybe there's 1/4" of material I can take off the head in a lathe (probably not).

I imagine it'll be tough finding a 2ft long bolt suitable for the loads.

Cutting the bolt and welding in a section makes me shudder.

Maybe a shorter castle nut? Maybe a shorter nut AND cut the axle in a lathe.

Anyways, thank you. Off to do some figuring! :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Welcome to the group.
On the left side I had to take a round file to the castle nut to make it line up to the hole in the axle.
It works for me.
Are you the one who also ground the backside of the axle bolt head some also to make it stick thru the other side come more too?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
No, I did not modefy the axle at all. I ground down on the swing arm.
I remember there was grinding involved.I looked at that awhile back and I remember that shoulder on the swing arm and the nice thing is if you don't like it a washer on the right side and you're back to stock:smiley_th

·
Registered
722 Posts
I remember there was grinding involved.I looked at that awhile back and I remember that shoulder on the swing arm and the nice thing is if you don't like it a washer on the right side and you're back to stock:smiley_th
That's what I was thinking when I did mine.Figured if I went back to stock I could just weld a washer on that side or just slip one on there and your done.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here's what I have for the RH drop plate so far. The drawing is in mm cause' I figure the bike is metric SO mm would probably be more accurate. I dunno.

Anyways, here it is. I might contour it a little so it's not quite so ugly. I'll make the first one from sheet steel or plastic to see if it fits.

The left side I'll have to bend or shim with a spacer. Bending 1/4" plate is probably not an option for me. I don't have a hammer that big! HAR!HAR!

That's a good idea for an alternative for stretching the axle. I'll look at it tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't found it if they do. I DID find a "lowering kit" that uses shorter shocks. I suppose it uses the stock mounting location but it cost $250 + S&H

Lemme see if the plates work and maybe I can make you some for a couple bucks. Or I can post the final bracket drawings and make it yourself.

The left plate looks just like the right one (except with a spacer). That can't be right. I need to recheck that.

I'm not sure if this is going to happen this weekend.... The wife wants a roadtrip. Too bad, I'm anxious to get-er-done.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Slimvulcanrider has a bunch of Vulcan stuff on scribd.com
HERE is the page with a cad drawing for a lowering bracket, as well as a bunch of other DIY stuff.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took the rear suspension apart last night just to make plans. It looks like it's going to be slightly more difficult than I though.... but just slightly.

The left side has a screw in stud with a shoulder, maybe M12? I'll have to replace it and shave a bit off the diff casting under the castle nut.

The right side, I'll have to shave some off the swing arm, but the stud in the swing arm is welded in. I hope there's a usable hole there after I grind it out.

Anyways, I have to find some metric hardware, then I'll be in business (I hope)

Maybe I can document this..... I haven't seen a build thread or much information on this mod at all.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
On the studs where the shocks go, I washered them out a little bast the smooth and screwwed the nut back on. And for the new shock stud, I used a bolt that best fit and welded it from the back to the plate. I also drilled a hole through the nut and bolt and ran a cutter key to keep it from unscrewing.

You can't see the cutter key in pic, cause it was not finished as yet.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the studs where the shocks go, I washered them out a little bast the smooth and screwwed the nut back on. And for the new shock stud, I used a bolt that best fit and welded it from the back to the plate. I also drilled a hole through the nut and bolt and ran a cutter key to keep it from unscrewing.

You can't see the cutter key in pic, cause it was not finished as yet.
Hmmmm, so I guess you used like 3-4 flat washers to make the distance?

How much is yours dropped??? Judging from my tire to fender gap to yours, it looks like about 3". I also noticed the new shock mounting hole looks farther out than I planned. Does the beauty ring on the bottom of the shock contact the lowering bracket ever??? It might be the angle of the picture.

I'm still figuring on this. The actual mod will have to wait until I get my license. The permit expires on the 28th. But I can use the time for planning I guess. I'll probably do the same as your temporarily. Use the stack of washers to make sure I like it, then cut / replace the bolts.

The SC road test is actually kind of involved. Me and a buddy went to practice yesterday evening. I hope to try this week though. I suppose that's off topic though.

I'd like to make a build thread of this. It'd be interesting.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Hmmmm, so I guess you used like 3-4 flat washers to make the distance?

no sure as to how many washers, just go past the shoulder for tight fit.

How much is yours dropped??? Judging from my tire to fender gap to yours, it looks like about 3". I also noticed the new shock mounting hole looks farther out than I planned. Does the beauty ring on the bottom of the shock contact the lowering bracket ever??? It might be the angle of the picture.

It is about 2 1/2 in drop. and no it will not hit, cause the wheel will not travel farther down, it only goes up from there.

I'm still figuring on this. The actual mod will have to wait until I get my license. The permit expires on the 28th. But I can use the time for planning I guess. I'll probably do the same as your temporarily. Use the stack of washers to make sure I like it, then cut / replace the bolts.

The SC road test is actually kind of involved. Me and a buddy went to practice yesterday evening. I hope to try this week though. I suppose that's off topic though.

They just want to see if you are capable of controlling the bike.

I'd like to make a build thread of this. It'd be interesting.
Wish you luck on the test.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
When I lowered mine with brackets I went to my local used bike shop and fished through their pile of axles and matched up mine with one that was 1/2" longer. Don't quote me but I am thinking it was off a VN1500. Not knocken niteriders way but I felt it was a site better than grinding on my swing arm and for only $20 well one can't beat that with any type of stick.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts