Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
The 12.5 are the stock size according to progressive. check out this site too for the shocks they are $206 on there. http://tinyurl.com/d3gxn2
then go to progressivesuspension.com for a sizing chart.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice Find for $209! So I guess what i want are 11.5 or 11" length shocks.

I wonder if 11.5" would cause any bottoming out or rubbing?

·
Registered
950 Posts
I know, wanna lend me some money so I can get a set?

·
Super Moderator
11,858 Posts
Nice Find for $209! So I guess what i want are 11.5 or 11" length shocks.

Likely not, but I don't know how big you are. I would guess that alot matters on the spring rate, but I have heard of others going to that size with no reported problems.

If you lower the front an inch to match, the only issue is sidestand and centerstand deployment.

KM

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yes, I did neglect to think about the sidestand and center stand. ... I can get them cut down and welded at a friends metal shop I think. ( perhaps if i buy him a 12pack of Bud).

·
Registered
950 Posts
Jeez how'd I miss that line before. giggity-giggity.

I wonder that all the time.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
i have the 11" progressive shocks. i have no problems bottoming out. when i first put them on, i had them on the lowest setting, i did scrap on some speed bumps in my work parking lot. i moved the setting up 1 notch, solved the problem. i do have to look where i park, because the bike does set up straighter. so i have to make sure the kick stand is on the lower side. also getting the bike up on the center stand is a bit tougher sense the back end is lower.

·
Registered
950 Posts
So I think i might be able to swing the new 412's. I am 6 foot. So I don't need lowered shocks. But I think that I might want to go slightly lower. Like an inch, just cuz I have bad knees, and a hip that gets funny on me. So it would help getting on and off. Plus it would make it easier for my wife getting on the back of the bike.

But do I have to lower the front if I lower the rear? Or can I leave it and just replace the springs with the standard size front springs?

Also any opinions on the black shocks versus the chrome? My bike is flat black too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jace... all you would need to do to the front suspension to lower it is raise the fork tubes up more past the top tripple tree clamp... same distance as the rear.. 1" or whatever you feel comfortable with. I have seen a couple Vn's done this way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I myself want to hold off on spending $230 for a pair of new lowered shocks.... sOOO if anyone knows where i can buy a pair of shock lowering brackets that would be great news to my ears. anywhere besides AME choppers that is.... those guys are crazy expensive and shipping from Germany is $$

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I dropped mine "3/4 in the trees with an improvement in handling ,to me, any way ,it seems to drop into a corner a little quicker and makes a faster transition from left to right and vice versa,i am thinking about the HD dyna shocks ,for the rear as well,while the harley guys may not like em they are on a heavier bike than the VN and therefore probably valved and sprung on the stiffer side of what we are running and I am on the heavy side myself,Denny

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Jeez how'd I miss that line before. giggity-giggity.

I wonder that all the time.
I don't know how I missed this...I gotta do it....this is one of those cases that if you knew you wouldn't be wondering ,now would you?...teee heee ...don't feel bad it makes a lot of people wonder

1 - 14 of 14 Posts