Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
14sec vulcan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone im wanting to lower the back of my vulcan but im broke, I was thinking about goin old school and making the rear a hardtail, does anybody have pics of solid pieces that replace the rear shocks and if so how long did u make them. Thanks

·
Registered
796 Posts
There are many materials you could use to do this. Go to a steel distributor and look around at the different materials. Use your imagination and picture it on the bike. When lowering it most go no more then 3" so not to have to replace the front fork springs. One thing that is possible to lower the front without putting shorter fork springs is to loosen the fork bolts and bring the fork tubes up, but I wouldn't suggest more then an 1" unless you use lowering springs. With shorter fork springs you can go as low as you want.

·
14sec vulcan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have already lowered the front just like u described ,and I took your advice and went and picked up some 1 inch square bar thanks for everything.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
If you lower the rear with struts and make a hardtail out of it, you will run into a couple of problems. One is obviously a very rough ride. The mushy rear suspension and super comfortable seat are two things I like about the Vulcan. Another issue is going to be lack of ground clearance. I regularly drag the pegs on mine with the stock ride height. The last problem will be stress on the frame, shock mounts, and swing arm. These parts were designed to be used with shocks, and if you make it solid, with no shocks to absorb impacts from bumps, potholes, etc, it will drastically increase the stress placed on these parts, possibly to the point of bending or breaking them. Real hardtail frames have a very strong triangulated structure designed to handle these forces, the Vulcan doesn't.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
If you lower the rear with struts and make a hardtail out of it, you will run into a couple of problems. One is obviously a very rough ride. The mushy rear suspension and super comfortable seat are two things I like about the Vulcan. Another issue is going to be lack of ground clearance. I regularly drag the pegs on mine with the stock ride height. The last problem will be stress on the frame, shock mounts, and swing arm. These parts were designed to be used with shocks, and if you make it solid, with no shocks to absorb impacts from bumps, potholes, etc, it will drastically increase the stress placed on these parts, possibly to the point of bending or breaking them. Real hardtail frames have a very strong triangulated structure designed to handle these forces, the Vulcan doesn't.
Jerry you have outlined the concerns I have whenever I have read about someone "hardtailing" a vn750. I didn`t have all the technical knowledge to identify details you have, but you have pointed out some items that anyone considering this mod needs to seriously study IMHO.:smiley_th

·
14sec vulcan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot I really didnt put too much thought into what could go wrong with doing this mod I think I might look for shorter shocks. I would like to know if someone has done this and if so did they have any trouble.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks alot I really didnt put too much thought into what could go wrong with doing this mod I think I might look for shorter shocks. I would like to know if someone has done this and if so did they have any trouble.
I think OEM shocks are 12.5". IIRC someone said a week or so ago that they had gone down to 11" shocks. No personal knowledge of this mod to pass on.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
10.5" shocks, will work with the stock rear tire... or for an even cheaper option you can make some lowering plates the move the lower shock mount back and up, to achieve up to three inches of drop.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I have shocks from a suzuki savage on mine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts