Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished lowering my 750 by 2". I used the brackets listed on this forum. I only had to make minor changes, The axle diameter was larger than the drawings and I had to make room for the shock by triming the bracket down on top about 3/8". The ride is stiffer because the shock is at an angle more horizontal than before. Other than that, everything fit very well. I can get on and off easier now. I can live with the stiffer ride for now but I think when I can afford them I will get the shorter shocks. Next the goats belly comes out.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
What did you use to cut out the brackets? Useing 1/4" cold steel I would think a hacksaw might prove to be a bit difficult. I was wanting to go about 3inches myself.

Peace :beerchug:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the drawing to a machine shop. The owner was once a rider. He made them out of 5/16 aircraft grade aluminum. Took them in one afternoon and got them the next morrning. Also had the axle made 3/4" longer. That way I didn't have to grind the swing arm or grind the castle nut in half. I thought everything was there for strength and I didn't want to grind it away.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I took the drawing to a machine shop. The owner was once a rider. He made them out of 5/16 aircraft grade aluminum. Took them in one afternoon and got them the next morrning. Also had the axle made 3/4" longer. That way I didn't have to grind the swing arm or grind the castle nut in half. I thought everything was there for strength and I didn't want to grind it away.
pictures please.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want to go 3" I would take the shocks off and replace with a solid bar and go hard tail. Just make the bars the lenght you need. At 3"" your shocks are going to be so horizontal they would be useless and may cause you to bottom out.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
upload pics to photo bucket then "[ IMG ]http://www.photobucket.com[ /IMG ]" where http://www.photobucket=[ /ur l] your pics **No spaces between the [ ]**

·
Registered
722 Posts
Didn't work for me either.All that came up was a join now page.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Your the host. Log out of the page & try the link then. If it remembers you, it will open your stuff. Any joe shmo won't get the same results. You can still copy the pics location from the the pic properties & post it here as usual. I did it last night. I don't know how photobucket is set up but with shutterfly I had no problem.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Your the host. Log out of the page & try the link then. If it remembers you, it will open your stuff. Any joe shmo won't get the same results. You can still copy the pics location from the the pic properties & post it here as usual. I did it last night. I don't know how photobucket is set up but with shutterfly I had no problem.
inside photobucket, every pic has several code lines, one for email and instant messageing, a direct link, HTML code for places like Hi5 and myspace, and then they have the image code wich we use for here.

when you click the image code it automatically coppies the code to your clipboard so you can just come into the forum here and type your post then press "CTR+V" . After that you should see something like this [ IMG ]http://http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n285/slimcowboy1978/BaseChopp.jpg[ /IMG ]. I put spaces between the [ IMG ] and [/IMG] so that you could see what i was talking about... if you close the spaces this is what you would see

I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
721 Posts
looks good.. what's the approx. cost to have these brackets done?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By not shopping around for the best price, I have $143.00 in the brackets and extending the axle. Plus bolts, washers and nuts. Alot cheaper than new shocks. The ride is a bit stiffer,but other wise not much differant.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I made mine from 1/4" steel. A friend gave me the iron plates and another friend cut them for me with a torch. Then I ground them down with my grinder. No $ out of pocket. I took bman's idea and changed it a bit. And with his advice got them to fit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts