Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i finally did it I made lowering brackets for the VN750. I have them mounted on the bike, I just need to buy two shock bolts and make a spacer for the lower stock shock bolts and make a brace...

There has been a lot of talk in the past as to the stock axle being to short for the addition of the lowering brackets. I have come up with a solution for this problem... I first made the brackets out of 1/8" steel then I added a Brace between the Original Shock bolt and the new extended shock bolt, also made out of 1/8" steel.

Also I found that the original PDF file plans are no good... The bolt and axle holes are the wrong size and in the wrong spot. The axle is roughly a 9/16" hole, and the shock stud holes are 5/8". another problem is the axle and the original shock stud holes are too far apart in the picture, so before drilling all of the holes, drill the shock mount first then mark for the axle using the swing arm to help locate the exact spot for the axle hole.

now on to my third area of findings... I need to make a spacer for the outer shock brace. Once I make this later in the day, I will post pics along with final dimensions and hopefully a ride report as well.

Attachments

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
$5 bucks in parts, maybe more or less depending... I had the metal laying around, used all the oem parts, only had to buy the spacers and new shock "pins". The draw back is a lot more time involved in making them compared to mounting new shocks. one other reason for wanting to go this route was I can make it adjustable for the exact ride height I am looking for, where as a shock you are limited to the single length of shock.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Hey Slim, my only concern with your solution to the axle issue is using 1/8" thick steel compaired to 1/4" I'd keep my best eye on those brakets for any sort of stressing, I hope they dont fail on you Bro.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
someone else on here used 1/8 and had problems with bending

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hence I am using a second piece of 1/8" plate to make an outer bracket. the middle will be reenforced with spacers and a brace like shown in the picture.

ohh one other thing I forgot to mention, the holes are shimmed with automotive shock bushings to keep the holes from becomeing stressed or getting wobbled out.

Once a long time ago, I used to build home brewed suspensions for off road 4x4's for applications where lift kits and super flex articulation packages weren't available. I lifted a '60 Willies wagon 12" just with shackles... I know I know.. not a good idea, but the main thing is I used 1/16 steel plate, just re-enforced with lots of spacers and braces... the shackles outlasted the Wagon... lol... so I don't think these will bend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Pimp. How do you do the cool thumbnail thing?

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Those tires look mean!

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to attach thumbnails, click on the Go Advanced button, then scroll down untill you see manage attachments.

the tires aren't as mean as the pic makes it look... the lighting made the tread look more aggressive than it really is.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey Slim, my only concern with your solution to the axle issue is using 1/8" thick steel compaired to 1/4" I'd keep my best eye on those brakets for any sort of stressing, I hope they dont fail on you Bro.
The weld on brackets for my four link on my street rod are made with 1/8 inch steel, no problem putting 400hp to the ground. So, I do not think it will be an issue.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The weld on brackets for my four link on my street rod are made with 1/8 inch steel, no problem putting 400hp to the ground. So, I do not think it will be an issue.
That is what I am thinking as well, I used 1/8" steel for my Jeep Shackles without issue.

I took the bike out for a 100 mile ride, no issues with the brackets... I went over the most bumpy and twisty roads I could find. I put the bike through heck... trying to find a week spot... none appeared though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
the only thing I would recomend is to tack weld a spacer in between the backets on the original shock bolt and weld a peice of metal on the lower side to half box it, or make it like an i-beam, to make it a more solid one peice bracket. From the looks the addition should not interfer.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the only thing I would recomend is to tack weld a spacer in between the backets on the original shock bolt and weld a peice of metal on the lower side to half box it, or make it like an i-beam, to make it a more solid one peice bracket. From the looks the addition should not interfer.
Already on the design board... I wanted to test it out for good suspension articulation first... Now that I know all my grinding and test fitting is done, I can take them into work and have my buddy weld up the rest of it... just like you said, the spacer and the outer brace is going to be swapped out for a piece of angle iron trimmed down to sit flush against the rear bracket.

For now though the drop brackets are coming off while I start on my forward controls. That way when my vacation time has come to an end, I can have all my parts ready for welding and paint.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
300 miles on the lowering brackets thus far... no issues... I have not been easy on the bike... I have done very thing I could think of less than jumping it to try and bend those brackets... and they aren't showing any signs of stress or wear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts