Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride on the highway a lot. The one thing I don't like is to go 70 mph she is at like 5200rpm. Any suggestions on how to get it down to at least 4700 rpm. I heard possibly a larger rear tire if so what size? Is there anything else that won't break the bank?:doh:

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
No need for two posts about the same thing. 4700 to 5200 is not such a large difference, and the effort put into making that modification would not be worth it in my opinion. I think the tire might be the only option, short of having a part custom made (I'm not educated on the mechanics of a shaft drive)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Yes as far as I know(a few have researched it here) there isn't any other drive boxes with a different ratio available.I even remember someone was looking into a sixth gear conversion but nothing came outta that either

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Doc, you know anything about physically changing gear cogs inside the transmission? No idea if it's even possible, but you could swap out 5th with a larger cog (or whatever the part is)

If it was possible someone here woulda tried it.the guy looking into six gears knew what he was doing and nothing came of it.but a little over 5 grand at 70 is right were the motor hits the sweet spot.these motors like to rev.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
We have beat this subject up over the years,.... vn1500 final does have been swapped in with out much effect, like od said a guy tried makinga sixth gear, then when that didn't work tried to rework 5th which also want economical. These bikes can handle 6 Grand on the tav all day long

·
Registered
493 Posts
I wonder how a Kawasaki GT 550,750,1000 rear end swing arm wheel and all, might go for those who desire more legs?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
why bother?

The VN750 LOVES the higer RPM range and will cruise at 6K for hours and not complain one bit. anything under 5KRPM...and you are not even in the power range of the gear you are in.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Hell most of the way down 17 on my way to Strangedays I was pushing about 7 grand on Melissa and that's over 90 miles from Deposit to Goshen and she loved every second of it

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I ride on the highway a lot. The one thing I don't like is to go 70 mph she is at like 5200rpm. Any suggestions on how to get it down to at least 4700 rpm. I heard possibly a larger rear tire if so what size? Is there anything else that won't break the bank?:doh:
Yes. Slow Down. Drop to 65mph and you're just about there.

Why don't you like going 5200 RPMs? I sure do. Sometimes I go 6,000 RPMs too. These motors seem happiest at 5500 by the way.....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah sorry about the 2 posts Im a new and I thought the first one didn't post. Thanks for all the input though I think I'll try the bigger rear tire even if I get 200 rpm drop I would be more than happy

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
A larger rear tire (OD) is really the only decent way right now....Im usally at 4000 rpm in 5th....I like to "putt"....these engines have a bigger bore than stroke, so theyre screamers...
But I know what yer sayin...ya get on the Thruway or 84 where the speed limit is 65, and everybody else is doin 85....thats why I mostly stay on secondaries with limits of 55....in Orange County especially, most secondaries are 55 and arent watched by cops too much and you can run at 65....might take ya 5 mins longer to get to where yer goin....
When I go up to Newburgh, I take either 32, or 208, or 94 depending on where Im goin...no tolls, no screamin....I ride with a half shell too, so when the engine really revs high, it annoys me....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Used to pick up/drop off cars in Newburg.have a friend who transports cars and used to help him out.was part of the "free rolling"cargo, as they called me on the cb(for you youngins that's citizens band.the first internet.lol)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Newburgh Auto Auction....that and I think Newburgh now has more car lots than any town in the 5 states around....Theses actually an auto auction in Montgomery, right by Teutel Jr's shop...I was gonna go there and mebbe get a used cop car.....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I always wanted an old police diplomat.Hell I wanted to build up a volare station wagon.Change the k frame and build a 340 or a 360 and have one Hell of a sleeper

1 - 20 of 27 Posts