Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally did it, been riding for several years now and I finally went down on the bike. I'm fine but the bike is a little banged up. I was going up a very steep, up hill climb and a very sharp right hand turn on the ZR 7S. I slowed down to make the sharp turn, didn't keep enough gas in to climb the hill, and she went over on her right side. I was going so slow, I didn't even fall over, I landed on my feet. The bike hit the ground though. The mirror bent in, easy enough to bend back out but the right turn signal is trash and I broke the expensive zero grav windshield.

I picked the bike up on my own but was in a REALLY awkward spot on the hill. I couldn't hold it up on my own, get back on it and start it. A good samaritan saw me wrestling with it and stopped to help. He was an old dude but before long another guy stopped and we got her up the hill to a flat spot. I throttled some gas back into the engine, hit start and she fired right up. I rode home sweaty and panting but rode home. Could have been worse I guess. Just remember, going slow through tight turns is a good thing but there IS such thing as TOO slow! LOL!!! :doh: Careful out there fellas! :smiley_th

·
Registered
936 Posts
Glad you made it through that unscathed.

Sorry to hear about the issues on the bike

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
LibertyPilot:
I was going up a very steep, up hill climb and a very sharp right hand turn on the ZR 7S. I slowed down to make the sharp turn, didn't keep enough gas in to climb the hill, and she went over on her right side. I was going so slow, I didn't even fall over, I landed on my feet. The bike hit the ground though.
:):)Hey OD, wasn't that you who performed this trick a few month's back ? :):)

WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
when a full dresser like that "falls over" it really only leans over about 45 degrees
Agreed, and it does make it easier. But there's a vid of a skinny lil chick too, that lifts and rights a lowrider. Its all in the legs. I been watchin more and more of those vids, as its happened to me in the garage while working on them. Im gonna dump my EN on its side next few days to see just how easy. y do need to bend yer knees a lot though, guys like me with arthritis could have issues. Gonna try anyway.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
It worked for me on the Vulcan.
Tipped over to the left making a U-turn on the road, kind of "duck walking" the bike instead of keeping my feet on the pegs where they belong. :doh:

The peg caught my left ankle and down I went. No damage to me but a bruised leg and ego. I remebered the way Paladino taught to pick up the bike, and even with my gimped left leg and right hip replacement, I got the bike up and pushed to the side of the road before the truck driver who saw me go down could get out to see if I needed help. :smiley_th

Hey LP, I'm thinking we both could have avoided going down if we had used the fiction zone (slipping the clutch a bit while keeping engine revs up), and trailing some rear brake to control speed.

I did break the ball end off the clutch lever though.
Will post a WTB over on the buy and sell forum now.

OH BTW, glad to hear no serious damage to you or the new scoot too.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Don't feel bad, I dropped both my Vulcan and my FJR making the exact same manuver ... Doing a U turn on a steep hill into my driveway.

Going slow is so much harder than going fast. If you lose enough momentum and the front wheel is turned, the bike will go down pretty quick.

But..... Better to drop it going under 5 mph than over 50.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Being honest I have had the bike go down while making a similar turn but I did not so it was just a matter of lifting the bike back up (using my legs) on an incline and in the middle of the road. I have a particular sharp hairpin turn near me that starts flat but as soon as you get into the hairpin it ramps up very steep and then cuts back the opposite way. First ten times I tried that turn I had to walk the bike through a u turn and go another way home. Finally I got to a point that I could do it but with difficulties. Now I try it every so often when I am feeling good and ready for a challenge. It is the most difficult thing I have faced on the bike not involving other vehicles.

Glad you are alright, Mike. Sometimes we need a little reminder that we are at risk on a bike and things can get complicated in a hurry. Lesson learned I am sure and you will be better for it especially with the Julz up.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
was this the new bike?

sorry to hear that she got banged up a bit....but glad you are OK!
Thanks man, yes it was the new bike.

...but we old guys are always around to help... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLkrPkjimo&feature=related
I've seen that video before but I was on a steep incline. I had to hold the front break lever to keep the bike from rolling backward. I managed to stand it up on my own, I just needed some added dude power to help roll it up the hill.

Hey LP, I'm thinking we both could have avoided going down if we had used the fiction zone (slipping the clutch a bit while keeping engine revs up), and trailing some rear brake to control speed.

OH BTW, glad to hear no serious damage to you or the new scoot too.
Thanks Hoss, I appreciate it. You're absolutely right and I've done that every other time I've taken that hill. The ONE time you don't though - you'll know it! LOL!!!

But..... Better to drop it going under 5 mph than over 50.
You ain't kiddin!!!

Being honest I have had the bike go down while making a similar turn but I did not so it was just a matter of lifting the bike back up (using my legs) on an incline and in the middle of the road. I have a particular sharp hairpin turn near me that starts flat but as soon as you get into the hairpin it ramps up very steep and then cuts back the opposite way. First ten times I tried that turn I had to walk the bike through a u turn and go another way home. Finally I got to a point that I could do it but with difficulties. Now I try it every so often when I am feeling good and ready for a challenge. It is the most difficult thing I have faced on the bike not involving other vehicles.

Glad you are alright, Mike. Sometimes we need a little reminder that we are at risk on a bike and things can get complicated in a hurry. Lesson learned I am sure and you will be better for it especially with the Julz up.
Absolutely! I got back out there the next day, took the same route, and had no problem with that complicated turn. On reflection I realized I was thinking, right before I went down, "man, I sure am glad I'm not on the meanie right now," referring to the wicked bend and steep incline. 2 seconds later the bike was laying on the ground. That thought about the meanie is called a lack of focus and that momentary lapse is all it takes. I shouldn't have been thinking about the meanie, I should have been focused on the road and what was happening in the present. Lesson learned.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Out of all the bikes I have owned, the KLR650 was the only one I laid down. And it was a controlled drop. Day after Halloween and I found pumpkin bits in the street. i thought, "what they hey, I'll be fine." Famous last words.... Little did I know that when I applied the rear brake, the wheel locked up and turned it into a sled. The rear end got sideways and I slowly laid the bike down. No damage to the bike; a lot of sore muscles for me!

The same was laid down another time not be my doing. A strong wind storm blew the sucker over. Did some minor damage, but was still able to drive it home.

The best time I had with it was when the neighborhood flooded. The water was half way up the bike. Handled it like a champ until a stick lodged itself in the gear shifter. I was soaked well before I got back home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts