Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I came across pictures of his this morning and I thought it looked like a fender was bolted under the factory fender on the back but he did such a good job I wasn't sure. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some Vulcan 900 fenders.

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
This is the thread I came across while searching for forward controls. He must have been a great guy, hate I didn't get a chance to converse with him on here. And I LOVE the way his bike turned out when he was done with it.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
ahhh, Bessie at Strange Days...let's just say,I've met a lot of people, but never anyone close to Wolfie.the mold was broken with him.miss ya,ya fookin' cantankerous old bastard.luvs ya,Brother Wolf

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Reactions: lugnut1009

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well I took that solo seat off and reinstalled the factory seat. Just didn't look right to me with the brown and no rack on the back. I did ride it to Easter Sunday sunrise service we have here in Vicksburg on Fort Hill every year. I know it's not build/bike related, just sharing.

Untitled by lugnut1009, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
Nice pics. Didn't realize you were this close.

Reactions: lugnut1009

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
OH! I forgot, the lowering brackets I made didn't fit. I was off on the only measurement that mattered, so I have a nifty looking pair of paperweights now. And, the saddlebags had to come off. I thought it would be ok without the supports but it rubbed, a lot. I will have to fab some type of simple supports for them and reinstall.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Not much of an update. But I was reading on here the other day about feeling cramped on the VN750 and different things people had done to combat that. Keep in mind I'm only 5'9" and this is my very first motorcycle. Anyway, I rolled the handlebars up yesterday. I really like the feel of my arms stretched out. I haven't had a chance to ride it like that very much yet (raining all day today here) but looking forward to it.

Best picture I can find to compare it to:

Reactions: GDI

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, just adjusting the handlebars will make a big difference. :smiley_th

That's the first thing I did when I got mine home! I had pretty much assumed that I would change them out for mini-apes, but they are actually pretty comfortable the way I have them now. Saved myself some $$$ and aggravation!

GDI

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Long time since I updated. I finally finished and installed the lowering brackets on the 99. I won't ever do that again! The CAD drawing that is on here is wrong. The shock and axle holes are closer together than shown and the axle is 18mm (0.7086") not 0.5625". Also the drawing shows it almost a complete triangle with smooth rounded edges, well I had to cut it into an L shape like a lot of them you see on internet searches. I finally got it installed and it works great though. Another thing not mentioned in the threads I've read through is that the center stand looks like it's hanging out in no mans land now, guess i'll remove that, and while I had the shocks off, I raised the rear tire/swing arm all the way into the rear fender and it never made contact with the RR. So I didn't move it. I think next time I'll just find a used set of 10.5" shocks off of an old Suzuki.

I also think I am going to recover my homemade solo seat this weekend with some black vinyl and maybe remount my saddle bags. The way the shocks are farther back now, I think the saddle bags may work out with out hitting the rear tire and without needing supports. We shall see. Hope to take and upload some more pictures soon of the lowering brackets and such.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Not much of an update. I had to put the factory seat back on because my daughter wanted to ride it with me. She loves riding it with me. I put in a good bit of seat time on it this weekend, man that factory seat kills my butt!! Other than that the 99 is running great and seems very reliable so far. I'm getting bored with it though. It has too much chrome and silver for me, I'm really really wanting to dive into this 85 lately. I've even thought about how I want the bike to be longer, and considering extending the frame on the 85 to give me more room to the foot pegs, I can move the battery and coolant bottle to the front of the motor, maybe make the seating position a little lower, build a lowering kit into the upper part of the frame (move upper shock mount up), chop off the frame past the shock mount, build a different bracket to hold the rear fender, and keep the motor and rear tire so they keep the same geometry... Maybe even find a set of full fenders and fab them to fit since I live on a gravel road and it makes a mess on my 99 with the stock fenders. Just an idea.

What would you change on the VN700/750 basic platform if you had the chance?

·
Super Moderator
11,858 Posts
Not much of an update. I had to put the factory seat back on because my daughter wanted to ride it with me. She loves riding it with me. I put in a good bit of seat time on it this weekend, man that factory seat kills my butt!! Other than that the 99 is running great and seems very reliable so far. I'm getting bored with it though. It has too much chrome and silver for me, I'm really really wanting to dive into this 85 lately. I've even thought about how I want the bike to be longer, and considering extending the frame on the 85 to give me more room to the foot pegs, I can move the battery and coolant bottle to the front of the motor, maybe make the seating position a little lower, build a lowering kit into the upper part of the frame (move upper shock mount up), chop off the frame past the shock mount, build a different bracket to hold the rear fender, and keep the motor and rear tire so they keep the same geometry... Maybe even find a set of full fenders and fab them to fit since I live on a gravel road and it makes a mess on my 99 with the stock fenders. Just an idea.

What would you change on the VN700/750 basic platform if you had the chance?
Just two things.

1. Easy to remove stator.
2. Fuel injection.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I guess I should have been a little more specific. I was referring to the frame, seating position, foot peg positions, etc.... But i agree, those areas could definitely be improved! But I'm not putting up the dough to go fuel injection, although I might look into what it would take to make the stator easier to remove. I haven't done that job yet.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
I've always said I'd be happy if I could move the seat back 2".

Still plan to rotate my bars forward and see how my butt feels in the seat. My conflict with the seat began as soon as I adjusted the bars back. I closed my eyes and reached for the bars, keeping a comfortable bend in my elbows, when I reached I missed by about 4", then adjusted them to that spot. Previous owner had them a lot farther forward.

Bet if I had drag bars, the seat would no longer be a problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I've always said I'd be happy if I could move the seat back 2”

Bet if I had drag bars, the seat would no longer be a problem.
I agree on both of these statements. Drag bars would take some of the weight and shift it to the handlebars, I just like the taller bars better. And yes, 2” farther back would be good. My 1” back made so much difference I couldn’t imagine how much 2” would help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Well a buddy of mine is gonna buy the 85 so I guess i won't be building it. I kind of hoped he wouldn't buy it so I could build it, oh well it will end up saving me money and I've got enough parts from the parts bike. I guess I will definitely be finding my wife a trike and I will further customize my VN750 this winter maybe. I already bought some LED blinkers and a reprod Model T tail light I wanted to use.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Pics of the parts I have I mentioned just in case anyone was interested...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well I removed the lowering brackets I made and the saddle bags for now. The lowering brackets made it ride so rough, it's just not worth it. The saddle bags have gotten so torn up from hitting the lowering bracket bolts and before that rubbing the rear tire, they just need to go. I may attempt to make yet another bracket to try to keep them off of the tire so I can use them again. I also have the factory seat back on because my daughter likes riding with me so much, she is also the reason I need the saddle bags so I can pick her up from school.

On a side note, I succeeded in talking my wife into looking into the Can-am Spyder, now I gotta get everything in order to buy one next Spring. Then she tells me, well if I get a new one, you need a new one too. Thinking about an Indian Chieftain Dark Horse... But hold on to my ol vulcan to use more on a daily basis for riding to work and back.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Just wanted to update this thread a little. We purchased the 2018 Can-am Spyder F3Limited in October, put about 2K miles on it so far, my wife loves it. I rode my VN750 in stock form for a while and then Monday I got back into tinkering with it. I installed the lowering brackets again and removed the mufflers. With the lowering brackets back on and the factory seat, I think it may help with comfort a minute amount by changing the angle of the seat. With the mufflers removed it is loud, kind of drones at speed, but the biggest improvement at upper RPM's. Before I thought I may have been running lean on the top end because it ran really good except at WOT, with the mufflers removed I have plenty of power in the upper RPM's now. I just need to find some pipe or something to extend them to the rear of the bike, exiting right under me makes it really loud....

41 - 60 of 61 Posts