21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Did you see the Voyager trike kits? I've seen a couple for sale around me locally at reasonable prices, but not lately.

Just a couple threads I found here:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/96305-handlebars-pre-load-voyager-trike-kit.html

There's pic in post #1: http://www.vn750.com/forum/17-sell-swap/25234-vn750-trike-umm-quad-listed-ebay-3.html
Thanks for the help. I really don’t want to go the “training wheel” style. But it would be nice to be able to take it off and return to a 2 wheeler after she was comfortable with it. I’ve been doing more searching as well...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I did the ignition pick up coil mod today. The 99 cranks SO much better now!!! Also have a new set of tires and wheel bearings I ordered for it show up today too. Hopefully I can get all that on this weekend.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
When I think I have made progress something else seems to creep up on me... The 99 was running so good I guess it just had to act up, 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Went to work on my 85 and smelled gas, well looks like the petcock valve on the 99 has leaked through into the front cylinder and filled the crank case and carb with gas. Guess I'll be looking into rebuilding or retro-fitting those valves sooner than I thought after all...

·
Registered
56 Posts
It took me the better part of 4 years to get mine set up right to where it wasn't one thing after another. Trust me, the final product is worth it. Hang in there. You're in the right place for support.

Reactions: lugnut1009

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Not too much progress lately. I have done some of the boring stuff as time permits. I have a plan to fix the petcock valves to work without vacuum so nothing is running right now. I got most of the wiring harness and controls on the 85, got the fenders and tank painted with red/brown primer, got my clutch installed, ordered crank case vent pod filters as well as a set of vacuum port caps, and today I printed off the drawing and built a set of lowering brackets for the rear shocks.
[/url]Untitled by lugnut1009, on Flickr[/IMG]
Lowering Brackets - Flickr

And this is the type of paint job I'm shooting for, I first painted everything with grey primer, then red primer, and I have to find the right color blue or teal that I want. Trying to go for a 60's color of blue then sand through parts to show the primer underneath.

Blue Patina

Need to come up with a neat logo for the sides of the tank. I'll work on that this weekend while i'm out of town at the inlaws. Hope to have a good update next week!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
WOW, spend a little time on this forum and I find all kind of stuff I want to do to my 85 before I try to crank her up! Like this jewel I just found: HERE

Reactions: Spockster and Thorn

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Did a little modifying on my original fuel petcock today to remove the vacuum valve and fix a leak. I removed the vacuum diaphragm all together and replaced it with a solid piece of rubber gasket material. Then I found out (at least on this '85 model) the nipple for the vacuum unscrews and the threads are just M6 bolt threads. So I screwed a bolt in just to keep that plastic check valve piece closed as a back up. Didn't get a pic of the check valve but here is the assembled valve with another bolt and gasket to do the valve on the 99.

Petcock by lugnut1009, on Flickr

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
You could write that up and it would make a good sticky thread, several have asked how to neuter that petcock.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sad day today. I thought I was getting really close to cranking the 85. Filled it with oil then started filling with coolant and it started leaking out of the base of the front cylinder. Very disappointing. It’s supposed to be a fresh rebuild but I guess a gasket didn’t seat well or something. I’ll find out eventually when I tear into it. What’s the best source for gaskets? I don’t have a local dealer near me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sad day today. I thought I was getting really close to cranking the 85. Filled it with oil then started filling with coolant and it started leaking out of the base of the front cylinder. Very disappointing. It’s supposed to be a fresh rebuild but I guess a gasket didn’t seat well or something. I’ll find out eventually when I tear into it. What’s the best source for gaskets? I don’t have a local dealer near me.
Ebay, Partszilla, & Ron Ayers. Ebay is consistently the cheapest but does not always have what your looking for. Partszilla, & Ron Ayers are both fine choices (official Kawasaki parts dealers) for online orders.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for the info!

Even though the 85 bursted my bubble, I finally tuned the 99 today!! Had my wife pick me up some #4 washers from Home Depot, and 4 under each needle plus 3 turns out seems to be perfect for about 230’ above sea level with stock jets and an ear shave. Happy happy happy!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Over the weekend I installed new tires on the 99 by myself, and replaced the bearings in the front wheel. AND, I actually drove it to work today. I learned 2 things with this being my first ride of any length and first time riding at night: 1. I need to bring home a pair of clear safety glasses, the wind is terrible without any protection and 2. it is very hard to see road kill on the road at night with the factory headlight... Other than that it was great! The bike ran and performed perfectly, very little traffic on the roads at 5-5:30 in the morning, and I can't wait to get off of work and ride the back roads home this evening.

I did look at Ron Ayers website and it looks like where the 85 is leaking there is supposed to be a collar around the head/jug stud that could possibly be missing. If that's all it is I may be able to lift the jug and install that, apply some good RTV sealant to the gasket and reinstall it. It's supposed to rain the latter part of this week so maybe I can dig into it and find out.

Item number 92043 in this diagram.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
awesome.these bikes have some snit,ehhh?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
awesome.these bikes have some snit,ehhh?
Yeah Doc, they will get up a lot more than I thought they would. I drove it again today but stayed on the back roads, more fun. I had a little car pull up beside me at a red light and kept inching forward, I just showered down on the ol 750 to see what she would do and I was up to 70 before I realized it and could barely see the little cars headlights in my rear view mirror. I was impressed, but I very quickly slowed back down. Not into high speeds so much, so far I like the slow going winding road riding the best.

OH!! I put on a set of old saddle bags that I got with the purchase of the 85, I'll have to get a current picture of the 99 and post up here in a little bit.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Here is a picture of the 99 how it currently sits. I took this yesterday in my work parking lot. Yes, it's very dirty. I haven't washed it since purchase, plus I live on several miles of gravel roads.

99 VN750 by lugnut1009, on Flickr

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
Registered
736 Posts
nice work! glad to see you're riding one of them. the splatter all over the radiator is all too familiar to me... haha

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
nice work! glad to see you're riding one of them. the splatter all over the radiator is all too familiar to me... haha
Ha, thanks. I’d love to have full fenders front and back. Maybe I’ll come across some one day.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Wolfie put a fender from a 900 Vulcan classic on the front of his.I can't remember what fender he bolted to the inside of the rear fender but it looked awesome.might have been from a 454ltd???

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 61 Posts