Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Frey
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone help me? I have replaced the bulb and my low beam is on but very dim. The high beam works outstandingly however. switch is working, no corrosion, and wires are all connected correctly. any suggestions?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
sounds like you either have a very low wattage of bulb for low beam, or you have a problem in your electrical circuits causing the RLU (reserve lighting unit) to activate.

·
Frey
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
never heard of the RLU? Guess I will pull the whole assmbly and see what is what

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
the RLU is located behind the battery...its a small plastic box about the size of a standard relay. iirc its held on with a rubber strap. it has 6 wires
light green/red
blue/orange
red/black
black/yellow
blue
blue/yellow

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had this problem with my 2000 vn750. Inside of the housing where the swithch made contact for hi and low was melted and distorted slightly so that it wasnt contacting when switch was on low. I ended up replacing with a used switch which my brother in law had on in his shop. It was going for $75 but he gave it to me for free.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
OP, I had the exact problem, just got around to it today.

My reserve lighting devise (RLD) failed to test ok, and I wired around it for now. Headlight works as it is supposed to now. For now I have a 'two wire twist' otherwise known as a panhead ignition switch. I did not disturb the original wiring harness.

Using this forum, I will try to determine the amount of issues that occur with the RLD. If they cause little trouble, I intend to R&R mine. If the consensus is they are problematic, I shall permanently wire around mine.

By your description, I suggest the following:
Remove the right side cover. You are now looking at the RLD. If in doubt, it says so on it.
Turn the ign switch on and bump the starter, the headlight should come on.
Once the headlight is on, unplug the RLD. You now have the devise side plug and the harness side of the plug. Test the voltage on the BL (blue) wire harness side. should be bat voltage or close. Mine was 11.85 volts.
If you have sufficient voltage, turn the ign switch off and perform the tests on the devise side connector.
Set meter to ohms, BL, BL/Y, BL/O to BK/Y must be open.
BL to BL/Y must have continuity.
BL to BL/O must have continuity. This should be your problem.

there are other tests to perform, mine failed the last.

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
ok first before we rewire things lets change the bulb for a new one. mine was exactly as the OP describes and it was the low filament burnt out which causes the RLU to activate the high beam but at a really low level almost as if it wasn't on at all(had a guy once stop me to see if my light was even working on a poker run once) but was great when I selected high. changed the bulb out and been just fine . try the simple easy things first.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
ok first before we rewire things lets change the bulb for a new one. mine was exactly as the OP describes and it was the low filament burnt out which causes the RLU to activate the high beam but at a really low level almost as if it wasn't on at all(had a guy once stop me to see if my light was even working on a poker run once) but was great when I selected high. changed the bulb out and been just fine . try the simple easy things first.
the op has already changed the bulb... and didn't fix the problem.... re read the op

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I would still check the bulb... again. Bad new parts happen more often than one would think and will drive you batty and cause much grief.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
denny, I think you/people are intimating the RLD does not fail often. Is that it? If so it is useful information.

If the RLD fails my tests, it is bad regardless of the condition of the bulb.

·
Frey
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will run the test this weekend to see if the switch is bad. to answer the bulb issue I have in fact changed it twice. It is just annoying to not have the low beam. Thank you for all the input.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
denny, I think you/people are intimating the RLD does not fail often. Is that it? If so it is useful information.

If the RLD fails my tests, it is bad regardless of the condition of the bulb.
I haven't seen a lot of issues with the RLU and My 1500 has the same setup,Judging by past experience with kaw's .it has not been a common problem .This is not to say it isn't capable of failure.If man made it ,it can break.

The last Statement is true of any component,if it fails the tests it is bad.Full agreement on that.

I always advocate checking the simple stuff twice just to be sure.And judging by the OP's last post he has covered the bases on that ,so it is time to move on to something else.

·
Frey
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just got the Omh meter from my brother in law so I will update you Sunday if that was the issue.

·
Frey
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE!!! I replaced the RLU(RLD) and problem is resolved. Thank you all for the input I really appreciate the help.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Frey, thanks for posting the results.

My somewhat lengthy research resulted in a conclusion proving the members initial reaction correct. They do not often cause problems.

You and I evidently fall outside the standard deviation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts