Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just some guy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. So it appears that my lady loves going riding with me. Long trips with another person on back seems like a stretch so I'm contemplating getting a larger bike.
If I wind up getting another bike, I'll either keep the 750 and turn it into a bobber or sell it for a larger bike.

Questions is. If I sell it, what's a fair asking price?
I recently put about 4k into the bike and paid a grand for it. Long story....

I understand I'll never get my money back but want to know what's fair for both parties.

Below is the specs.
7,xxx miles but know there's more than that since the speedo cable was broken when I got it. Don't know exactly how much. ImageUploadedByMO Free1401154712.466106.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1401154721.676406.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1401154733.069819.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1401154748.305113.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1401154759.977565.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1401154770.249197.jpg
86 Vulcan 750
New Dunlop tires
New high shot stator & r/r
Relocated R/R
Cobra exhaust.
Painted metallic grey - looks better in photos.
New vacuum lines
Stage 1 jet kit - carbs rebuilt
Ear shave with pods.
New speedo & clutch cables.
Full tune up
Lower bars
Upgraded headlight
LED turn signals. Changed the relay as well to support the voltage change.
Upgraded grips
Cigarette electrical outlet mounted under seat. Wired to battery tender plug.
Jardine crash bars
Sissy bar with bag mount.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff but
Eh. You get the idea. I also have all paperwork.

Any ideas?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
if the bike is in perfect riding condition i would start with an asking price of 3000 this time of year but be ready to negotiate because all the add ons and mods dont exactly raise the value as much as you would think and an 86 has a blue book of around 1400 to 1500 last i checked fair market value on my 86 2 yrs ago was only 1900 bucks or so said the insurance agent from state farm when some guy knocked it over the day i got it running

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
does the bar bolt on just at the bottom of the hoop or is it attached at the top too?

i am asking cause i am planning on building some of that style for this bike and selling them on here at a budget price

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,274 Posts
Id buy a new bike and bob the 750 myself

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Assuming you and your lady friend aren't rally large 2 up riding on these bikes for trips for 100-200 miles are fairly comfortable, Toss a towel across the pillion seat to hep her comfy. My ladyfriend and I weigh a combined 295 lbs and we've covered up to 300 miles a day.

While your bike looks fantastic is an '86. You and I know it's in great shape but the buyer is still going to see a 28 yr old bike. In near perfect condition with all those extras I'd consider $2600 to be fair.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd guess you might get about $2,000 for it, not a bad looking bike but the age kills you.

Many will want to paint it, that black to me looks kind of dull, not shiny, might be the pics though?

I'd take the skull off the tank, not for everybody.

Good Luck with the sale

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
To put this into the fold, I paid $1100 for my 86 in running order. Truth be told I needed to put another $300ish into her to make her reliable enough for daily transport. This is in southern California mind you, usually higher prices, but cruisers are not as sought after it seems.

Mine had original paint and such, which it seems yours has a rattlecan job?

I'd list it at $1800, realistically. Going to be hard to fetch over 2k.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Realistically, I bought my 95 with everything working for $1500. When I look at bikes, first thing I check is KBB. Yours is $1500 but with the paint it's going to really drop it. Even if it's a good paint job. The add-ons don't put much value on it at all. If you put it over $2000 you won't get any calls. There are too many great deals out there on craigslist.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Realistically, I bought my 95 with everything working for $1500. When I look at bikes, first thing I check is KBB. Yours is $1500 but with the paint it's going to really drop it. Even if it's a good paint job. The add-ons don't put much value on it at all. If you put it over $2000 you won't get any calls. There are too many great deals out there on craigslist.
x2 ...for an aged but often prized bike.........Sorry Kevin

:smiley_th

·
Just some guy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh. I'm not sweating it. I'd never expect to get back what I put into anything. Money isn't really a concern. Just figured if I were to ask something; what a fair price to the other person would be.

I have a feeling that I'm going to ride it this season and bob it out during the winter.

·
4,508 Posts
Oh. I'm not sweating it. I'd never expect to get back what I put into anything. Money isn't really a concern. Just figured if I were to ask something; what a fair price to the other person would be.

I have a feeling that I'm going to ride it this season and bob it out during the winter.
If so, I would like first dibs on the Jardine Crash Bar (needed with my Jardine Fwd Controls).

·
Just some guy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If so, I would like first dibs on the Jardine Crash Bar (needed with my Jardine Fwd Controls).

I don't think the forward controls would work with the crash bars I have.

Right now, shifter taps the bottom of the bar on the left side when you downshift. I have a strong feeling that the forward controls would get in the way.

I wanted to add the forward controls on my bike as well. If I do, I'll sell the bars.

·
4,508 Posts
I don't think the forward controls would work with the crash bars I have.

Right now, shifter taps the bottom of the bar on the left side when you downshift. I have a strong feeling that the forward controls would get in the way.

I wanted to add the forward controls on my bike as well. If I do, I'll sell the bars.
I am thinking the Jardine Crash Bar compliments my Jardine Fwd Controls.....
?
...time will tell.

·
Just some guy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am thinking the Jardine Crash Bar compliments the Jardine Fwd Controls.....
?
...time will tell.

You would think that would be the case though since they are retrofit from a Sportster, the bottom bar is pretty low and would block the forward control.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If i were in your position I would likely make a bobber out of it just because of the age of the bike. Based on my experience I wouldn't expect to get much more than $1800 out of the bike.

I bought my 99 for $1700 in pretty good running condition, had some electrical issues with it this year but it was mainly some aged connectors that weren't holding well anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts