2002 VN750-A18

Goat removed; by Lance

R/R relocated by Lance

Iridium Plugs

Motul EX 100 lube

Purolator Pure One Filter.

Final Drive Replaced by Lance

Question:

Why am I only getting 34 mpg. I check my mileage every time I fill up.

I do not guess at the mileage I use a calculator.

I do not hot rod the bike; never been over 55 mph to date.

I have drilled out the plugs on the carbs; and they are at 2.5 turns.

Backfires; like crazy.

Runs smooth; up to 5,000 which is all I have turned the engine.

Stock mufflers; without the goat; loud, just ordered the Cobra Slip Ons from Dennis Kirk; should be here by next Monday or Tuesday.

I am looking for a deep mellow sound; probably should have left the stock exhaust on the bike.
Plugs are burning pure white; which tells me ; it is too lean.

Any recommendations on; jet sizes, turns out, etc; would be appreciated.

Other than above; the bike runs like a scalded dog; just backfires a lot.

Forgot to mention; I have also installed block off plates on the EGR; ports.

Stock Airfilters; Why would I want to remove what people are spending dollars to install the Kuraykin Intakes with the Flappers?????

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
By the way; trying to get in touch with Lance; any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Bailey

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Have you put in new exhaust crush gaskets and checked for exhaust leaks. That will make it backfire also. As far as the mileage I'm not sure about the jets so someone else will chime in on that except run some seafoam through it. It could be a gummed up carb. I notice quite a difference after running some seafoam or K-100 mg through mine, about 5 to 8 miles difference.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
i got crappy (29mph) rideing ( in the city) ran several tanks with sea foam im now running 49ish mpg , tho i have been getting on the old girl now and then

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ditto for me! Seafoam improved my milage from 40mpg to 48-51 depending on the ride! Hopefully this will work for you and it's not something more! Good luck!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
i was getting 58 last year, this year about 52 till I changed to iridium plugs and now get 46 - 48. they seem to burn a little more gas but seem to be worth it. no goat and sportster pipes so I get a good bit of backfiring on decel but its all good!

·
Adventuregeek
162 Posts
I had an exhaust leak a little while back. It ran strong, but got real throaty sounding and kind of rougher than normal. Think my mileage dropped, but can't say how much.

If you try the exhaust, DON'T get the Harley-davidson gaskets. Even Lance328 has stopped using them, the Kawasaki gaskets fit better.

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
261 Posts
I've used the HD gaskets twice, and haven't had any problems at all. They fit perfectly and work very well. And because of the way they're constructed, they have a much better chance of being re-used than the Kaw gaskets.

Just my .02 -- perhaps they have changed in the years since I last did mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts