Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, that's a fun way to start the morning. On my way into work this morning
I suddenly lost spark in the rear cylinder. It's still getting gas(I can smell it at the tail pipe) but it has no spark until about 4500 rpm. I limped the rest of the way to work and killed it. The engine cranks fine and will start on the one cylinder after cranking for about 5 or 6 seconds so I don't think my battery or charging system is the problem. The plug wires are in good shape and firmly attatched to the plugs. so, loose connection somewhere?? I'm hoping this one will be an easy fix so I can ride home instead of hunting for a trailer:doh::doh:

edit: posting without coffee is bad. It's the front cyl not the rear.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
do u have a selection of tools to work with? check voltage at the coils... also wiggle around the key and see if its in the ignition switch... and i agree 100 percent on the connections i hope thats the case for ya ....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
copied from the VROC web forum: Also, that the throttle cables aren't rubbing on the right plug wire; not unknown on the 750.

Turn out that did it! the cables had rubbed part way through the plug wire insulation. I pushed them apart and it began to fire again. I'm still gonna pull the plugs and check all my connections tho' seems like now would be a good time

·
Registered
409 Posts
I cut some short fuel hose lengths and then slit them open and put them around the throttle cables to prevent them from abrading the spark plug boot.

Also good for where your clutch and speedo cables touch the frame.

·
McGyver
25 Posts
You can pop off your right hand air cleaner and re-route the cables over the top off the air cleaner.
This is what i did and it keeps the cables from rubbing on the plug cap or wire.
However,youll have to pull your cables up by the headlight and and remove them from the the little wire thing that holds them in place up there or they may bind.
Works great.
Glad you figured it out tho.
Safe riding all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts