Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was bound to happen. Lost one of the chrome nuts that holds the air filter cover on. Maybe a little loctite in the future. I went back and traced my steps but it was nowhere to be seen. Darn! Anyone who's shaved their ears got an extree I could pay ya for?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Chrome nuts? I thought they were held by long bolts, so not sure what part you're talkng about....but sorry ....not at home to go looking in my parts bin.
x2 Three long black screws hold mine on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm talking about the two chrome nuts that hold just the chrome cover on not the entire housing. The ones that tighten onto the tiny screws that the air filter itself slips onto. I'll see if I can get a pic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, now I see what y'all are talking about. The clymers manual shows the cover with the three bolts. I wonder if its a model difference. I have a 2000 and it has two large chrome nuts holding it on. I'll keep checking.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Ok, now I see what y'all are talking about. The clymers manual shows the cover with the three bolts. I wonder if its a model difference. I have a 2000 and it has two large chrome nuts holding it on. I'll keep checking.
2001 here, just 3 black screws hold the cover on.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
There were no model year differences on the stock air filters.
We are talking about the plastic air filter covers on a stock intake....right?

I can only assume someone stripped out the nut and bolt that came with it, and replaced it with a acorn nut on front with long bolt from behind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I didn't know it before but it looks like these are aftermarket covers, all chrome so I guess I gotta find out what kind they are and go from there. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
There were no model year differences on the stock air filters.
We are talking about the plastic air filter covers on a stock intake....right?

I can only assume someone stripped out the nut and bolt that came with it, and replaced it with a acorn nut on front with long bolt from behind.
X2 The Kawasaki manual shows only part number 224, 3 screws that hold the air filter on for all years. Manual download on this site.

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
Maybe this will shed some light at least on possible identification.
Ah, those are not stock airbox covers. Those are Highway Hawk chrome covers.....I think. Try taking the other nut to Lowes or ACE hardware to find a match.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Some one has limited exposure to VN 750's to have been under the impression those were stock filter covers. It is all good anyway and if Lowes or Home Depot can not supply you with a close enough match at least use their screw/bolt gauge to get the proper thread size so you can possibly check other places such as Grainger or Fastenal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And yeah, it is the first real exposure I have had to any motorcycle. So I am learning with yall's help. Gotta start somewhere right?

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Maybe this will shed some light at least on possible identification.
Cool,,, I've never seen those Dusty. Lowes or Home Depot in the little specialty bolt/nut drawers,,, that of Fastenal.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
And yeah, it is the first real exposure I have had to any motorcycle. So I am learning with yall's help. Gotta start somewhere right?
Yes and so did everyone else here (have to start some where). We all learn from each other and share what we already have. With all the problems that a diverse group such as this can have there is still a lot of help and knowledge to be found here. Don't let some of the "nonmotorcycle" stuff get in the way of learning.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Yes and so did everyone else here (have to start some where). We all learn from each other and share what we already have. With all the problems that a diverse group such as this can have there is still a lot of help and knowledge to be found here. Don't let some of the "nonmotorcycle" stuff get in the way of learning.
Hell i even learn from the problems too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts