Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a problem! I have known that I have needed to pull my carb and clean them. Just had been putting it off. Then the other day my yorkie made it clear that it was time. He hates my bike. He pisses on it when ever it is close enough to him and when ever he hears me put the key in the ignition goes into a fit of anger. This time as I was trying to start it he began to bite the tires and foot pegs. Really enraged that his attack was not stopping the sound of the starter he reached up and bite down on the rear spark plug wire and shaking his head back and fourth pulling the wire out of the boot holder. After the assault I repaired the wire an tried again to start her up with Lester inside the house to prevent any further misery. Not starting I pulled the rear plug and found it full of gas. I realized quickly that the float was stuck open. I pulled the carbs and tore them apart. Put them back on and got the bike running. Form though that bike wound run fine till I opened it all the way and around 6000 rpm it would spit and sputter. I notice that if I pulled the choke about half way that I had all the top performance I needed. My question is why?

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
The "choke" is a fuel enrichment device. The bike is starved for fuel (probably need to clean the carbs again) and the choke gave it what it needed.

Have you checked the oil to see if fuel got into the crankcase?

·
Super Moderator
12,249 Posts
First thing I'd do is......

Shoot the dog.

But yes, sounds like your starving for fuel. Assuming it didn't do this before you cleaned the carbs....check to make sure the vent line is not blocked somehow (the one going into the back of the right airbox) , you could have the incorrect float height, or a blocked main jet. Could be the needle/ diaphragm is not opening all the way...a leak in the top of the carb could do this.

Make sure the cable is in fact opening the throttle all the way too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it

The PO had the vent line stopping at the tee! Extended it to the ear and OMG I got a new bike. It solved the backfiring and hot starting problems too! Your right knifemaker I am going to change the oil. As for the dog well I might as well keep him around. He did cause me to find the solution to my issues. And he is the only other male in my household.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.