Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riggin, Friggin, %#@#$ toolbox. I am not really that upset about the loss. I have hated the damn toolbox ever since I lost all my tools out of it on a ride when the damn thing popped open with lock still in place. Just might have been handy to have.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do to replace the whole toolbox? The only realy reason, I kept it on the bike is that it covers the wires coming out of the taillight. Any ideas on something else that might do the trick and look nice.

Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a 'cam lock' for cabinets. Get one abt 5/8'' long if you have a choice. Should set you back $2.49 at most.
When you have one picked out, go to the fastener section and get a couple of nice metal gaskets or washers to fit the cylinder. Use some permatex or GE black silicone to secure both washers to the trunk door when you install.
Same thing happened to me 2yrs ago, and my home remedy looks as good as stock...almost.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plastic mirror? Where did you get that material from? I have to look at your photos more often. I want to fabricate my own saddlebag hardware. I want to go yokeless and have them be detachable. Your side grips are giving me ideas.

·
Super Moderator
12,088 Posts
I got the "plastic mirror" stuff from Auto Zone...it was where the sell replacement rear-view mirrors, and comes in a 7X9 (aprrox) sheet and is made to use to replace (temporallay) broken mirrors. I have seen it at Wal Mart also. It's a thin plastic with a mylar coating on it. The sheet has a protective film over the mirror part so you don't scratch it while working with it. I just used sharp scissors to cut it after I made a template out of shirtbox cardboard to check the fit. It is plastic...so be carefull you don't crack it cutting or drilling it...it is also semi flexible..I did the cover for the tool box and the back of my passenger backrest with the stuff...looks like chrome..
(dragon decals and plastic chrome letters from Auto Zone)

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
toolbox lock, toolbox lid protection techniques

Folks, One of the tips in the vulcan verses has to do with the tool box.
The lock is notorious for falling out, and the creased lid hinge also breaks and you can loose the door completely.

For those of you who have not done this, put some silicon on the threads of the lock, so the lock nut will not work itself loose.

Then reinforce the hinge of the tool box. The simplest and easist thing to do is to put some duct tape on the inside of the toolbox covering the hinge.

RB

·
Registered
121 Posts
Anyone have any ideas on what to do to replace the whole toolbox?
I just replaced my seat and have no need for my toolbox. Would you like to make an offer? I'll ship the toolbox, my handmade toolbox cover, and sissy bar to you for 50 bucks.

Here is a link to some pics...

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22301

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey stabbert, you just resurrected a thread that has been dormant for 8 years. :)
Not likely anyone in this thread but KM even comes around anymore.

If you start your own thread in Swap and Sell forum you will get more notice for your stuff. :smiley_th

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm going to toss my box also, I have no need for it. If anyone wants it, pm an offer. I got 2 keys and will also throw in 3 stainless bolts for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts