Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The key was made from the tank and now it's not working to start the bike. Has anyone else experienced this? The locksmith said there should be code or number on the ignition somewhere that is for making keys. Does anyone know where this code is?

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
The key was made from the tank and now it's not working to start the bike. Has anyone else experienced this? The locksmith said there should be code or number on the ignition somewhere that is for making keys. Does anyone know where this code is?
Not sure on the code, but I think the ignition uses 5 pins and the gas cap only uses 4. Not sure on the helmet locks.

If its not written on the lock itself you might need to take the whole ignition lock to the locksmith to get a key.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
The key code is located on the backside of the helmet lock. You have to bend the lock plunger to get to one of the screws.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
send me the year and ill have one of the locksmiths look it up on monday

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Since the key goes deeper in the ignition (5 pins) than the fuel tank (4 pins) a key made for the ignition will work the tank but a key made to fit the tank will not work the ignition.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Since the key goes deeper in the ignition (5 pins) than the fuel tank (4 pins) a key made for the ignition will work the tank but a key made to fit the tank will not work the ignition.

I did not know that....thanks Fool for the education ! :beerchug:

:smiley_th

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JM2001, what exactly is the 'lock plunger' on the helmet lock? Goofin, it's a 1993 vn750.

So, as long as I can get the code, I will be able to get a key made without having to remove the ignition?

I ran into something while i was trying to put my tank back on: First, to get the tank off, there are 3 tubes running from the petcock on the gas tank to the carbs. The 2 tubes running off the side of the petcock were literally stuck on the metal nipples. I live in PA so it's cold and they were really on there. So I removed those 2 tubes from the carb ends. The other issue was while I was putting the tank back on, I had to finesse the tubes back on so I had to remove the petcock and then awkwardly fit the tank back on the petcock...(pain in the ass...). I got gas everywhere, lol. Anyway, when I was fitting the tank back on, I noticed the 2 side screws only screwed in so far, leaving the tank wobbly. I don't know if I lost a piece on each side or what. But I had the 2 screws, the metal-washer sleeves that go over, and the big circle on the tank to secure the screw to. Well I tightened both screws and the tank is still wobbly. Any ideas on that?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, yea, one other quick question. Will the petcock drain gas while it's removed off the bike? The locksmith that I took the tank to told me the tank wouldn't drain gas out of the petcock and he tried each petcock position.

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
First, the tank bolts on the sides have two rubber washers each. If you are missing one or both the tank won't bolt solid.

The petcock is vacuum activated. Which means unless there is negative pressure in that third hose the petcock won't flow gas. This was meant as a safety feature so when the bike is not running it turns off fuel delivery.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, great. Thanks. I will begin looking for a couple rubber washers. Do they remain on the tank or come off with the bolt and sleeve?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you guys know the part numbers or can give me a link to find the metal bushings and rubber washers?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, thank you.

Can anyone confirm where the key code number is on the bike? Is it on the ignition or helmet lock or what? I can't find it anywhere

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
PM sent

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Ok, thank you.

Can anyone confirm where the key code number is on the bike? Is it on the ignition or helmet lock or what? I can't find it anywhere
its on the gas cap, helmet lock and ignition cylinder... you have to remove all three to get to the numbers because they are stamped onto the back side of them... IIRC, the ignition cylinder also has to be separated from the hockey puck in order to read the numbers.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
before you order new rubber spacers for the tank look in the cavity behind the air filter housing thats where they usually end up

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
before you order new rubber spacers for the tank look in the cavity behind the air filter housing thats where they usually end up
:smiley_th Excellent advice.....have found mine there all 15x lost. LOL :smiley_th

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will be checking for those washers behind the air filter units, thank you. So, SlimVulcan, there is a code stamp on the gas cap? My problem is I got a key made for the gas cap but it doesn't fit ignition or helmet lock. But I can open the gas cap. So, there is a code on the inside of the gas cap I could give my locksmith to make a key for the ignition?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts