Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm Brady Huck and i live in kansas. i've been a member of the yahoo site for sometime now, but i haven't posted in a while. I have a 1990 Vulcan 750 that was poorly taken care of and slowly but surely brought back to life. I've had it for 5 years now and love it to death but i recently lost the keys to it and don't have any spares... i was wondering if this happened to anyone else and what I could do about it. I didn't know if the dealer could get me a key, if i have to get a new ignition or any other ways to go about it. thanx for your help

P.S. These sites have been a tremendous help to me.

Brady

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
It's possible that the dealer can make a key from the VIN. Another thought would be to take the ignition switch to a locksmith and have him make a key that fits it and the other locks. The last idea is to take all the locks to a locksmith and have them re-key the locks. Which means the ignition, gas tank, helmet locks, and trunk lock.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
cegodsey said:
It's possible that the dealer can make a key from the VIN. Another thought would be to take the ignition switch to a locksmith and have him make a key that fits it and the other locks. The last idea is to take all the locks to a locksmith and have them re-key the locks. Which means the ignition, gas tank, helmet locks, and trunk lock.
Yeah, What he said.
Although, I went to the closest dealer to me to see about getting a spare key made when I first got the bike. I think I confused them with that request. They finally suggested going to the hardware store.
With the VIN#, I think a dealer could order you another key atleast.
Good luch with whatever ya end up doin'.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Welcome to the site. Good luck with our local dealer :( you might have better luck further east. Glad to see someone in my area on here. Taking the ignition to a lock smith might be your best bet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try the dealer tommarrow, i never though of a locksmith. thanks for the help and i'll let you know what i do.

Brady

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i took the ignition out and took it to the locksmith, ten minutes and 18 dollars later he had two keys for me. The key works for both the gastank and the ignition. Thanx for everyones help.

Brady

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
That doesn't sound like too bad of a deal.
Glad ya got some keys now. :motorcycl

·
Registered
227 Posts
So when are we riding?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just noticed u were from junction city. I've only been around here for about a month now. I'm going to school at k-state. As for riding, now that i have a key, i took my bike to Motorcycle Surplus to put some new rubber on the back. I also need to relocate my RR so i have a more dependable ride. But i'd like to ride sometime.....

Brady

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Hey, any of you k-state people know a guy with the last name of Pritts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts