Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in central PA, 2 hours north of Harrisburg. I lost the only key I had for my 93 vulcan. I was told I can call a Kawasaki dealer, give them my vin, and get a key made relatively inexpensive. I called a few local Kawi dealers and a couple in State College and none make keys. The reps tell me I need to call a blacksmith. But i don't have a way to get the bike to a locksmith so I'd really just like to get a key made from my vin and at a decent price. Anyone know how I can go about getting a new key made ~ in the Harrisburg-Philadelphia-State College area?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
assuming that you have all the locks keyed the same, the helmet locks and gas tank locks have codes stamped in, you can call a lock smith and they can cut a key using that number along with bike make and possibly vin.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
A good 'smithy can make one just by disassembling one of the locks. Without numbers even, then he can tell you what those numbers should be so you can save them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I'll call around to some more dealers. If none can do it, I'll take my tank off if anything - tank, ignition, & helmet lock all use same key. I don't really want to pay $85 lol so I'll just keep calling to get the best quote. But, yes, everyone, go get a spare made before you have to go through all this!

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
The toolbox lock should be easiest for the 'smith to work with, but yeah, i have spare keys all over the place.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Ok, I'll call around to some more dealers. If none can do it, I'll take my tank off if anything - tank, ignition, & helmet lock all use same key. I don't really want to pay $85 lol so I'll just keep calling to get the best quote. But, yes, everyone, go get a spare made before you have to go through all this!

Another option in order to take a lock to the Locksmith.....
I have pic'ed Helmet Locks in order to remove them off the rails which I had bought at a Bike Fest/market.
Not that difficult...

:smiley_th

1 - 8 of 8 Posts