Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Lost headlight and running lights when turned over the bike this a.m.

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Gemguy 
#1 ·
Perfect day to ride into work - had everything all loaded up at 5.45, finishing my coffee, turned over the bike and - sploot! - no headlight and no running lights. :( My knowledge of electrical gremlins is close to nil, so I'll ask this dumb question: Do fuses sometimes blow "just because"? Or could I have a short somewhere in that circuit? (although it was just fine when I rode last week and I haven't wrenched on that bike in the interim) Will check it when I get home tonight, but thought I'd see if anyone has some "don't worry" advice. :hitanykey

#2 ·
turned over the bike and - sploot! - no headlight and no running lights. :( My knowledge of electrical gremlins is close to nil, so I'll ask this dumb question: Do fuses sometimes blow "just because"?
I know even less than you about electronics. But I do know this: when I laid my bike down a couple of years ago, I couldn't even get any electrical response at all when I turned the key. The bike was 100% dead. It turned out that the simple replacing of one fuse made the whole electrical system come alive, and enabled me to ride my damaged bike home. So, I think checking your fuses would be test #1.

#3 ·
well here is what I know.

My experience with fuses comes from my work with highly automated robotic systems, not motrcycles.

We see fuses blow on a somewhat regular bases. Maybe once every couple of months. I would say that 50% of the time, there is no noticeable reason why they blew. This is not a direct comparison because my robot has over 100 different types of fuses and only certains ones ever go bad. Plus this system is on a totally different type of power.

However, fuses are cheap, buy a bunch and replace them first before doing anything else. If they blow again, then start with the electrical trouble shooting.

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure it's one of the 20 amp ones. I blew mine when messing with rear directionals. Sorry tho, can't remember which one it is. Yes, they can just blow after a long time. It doesn't necessarily mean you have a problem. Good luck.

#7 ·
Oops.. I don't think it was a 30 that I replaced. Must have been a 10. Sorry, my forgetter is apparently running top notch.... unless a PO replaced that one before with a 20. I better check cause I thought I remember it being blue. Definitely want to have the correct in there tho.

#8 ·
did you try wiggling the ignition key slightly back and forth? My ignition is extremely worn and I can put it in the wrong spot and the bike will run with no lights, or tach. I need to replace it because it will shut the bike off at random times when running down the highway. Or at stop lights. It's really embarasing too.

#9 ·
Ignition and hockey puck could definitely be suspect.

#10 ·
Turned out that Doc was on the money. Hit the starter button (inside the RH control) with CRC, buttoned it up, and no more starting by engaging the clutch! I didn't see it on the schematic, but I guess there's a relay that shuts down that particular circuit (headlamp, running lights, headlamp indicator, horn, etc.) when the starter button is engaged. Opened the circuit with the CRC and all's well. :smiley_th:

#12 ·
Good you found the gremlin and zapped it with a little shpray. All's well that ends well I once heard someone say. :smiley_th :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.