Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I’m pretty worried here and I’m hoping you all can help me out. So a couple of weeks ago I noticed my coolant reserve tank was very low. It has stayed constant at the full mark since I’ve had the bike.
I filled it up and went for a medium length ride. I smelled coolant the whole ride. When I got back home same thing. low level.
I changed the thermostat, and the radiator cap hoping the lost coolant was from the cap. Filled ip the reserve, checked the level in the radiator and went on another ride. Still smelled radiator fluid.
The next day I drained some oil to check for coolant in the oil, and it was clean. Next I was going to check the coolant for oil and looked for the drain plug on the crankcase pan and it was long gone.
No idea when it happened but at no point did the bike even approach overheating.
Today I drained and flushed the radiator and which was full.
While flushing, water only drained from the radiator drain plug and not from the crankcase.
How screwed am I? I’m supposed to receive a new plug and crush washer in the post today and have no idea how to proceed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Hi guys,
I’m pretty worried here and I’m hoping you all can help me out. So a couple of weeks ago I noticed my coolant reserve tank was very low. It has stayed constant at the full mark since I’ve had the bike.
I filled it up and went for a medium length ride. I smelled coolant the whole ride. When I got back home same thing. low level.
I changed the thermostat, and the radiator cap hoping the lost coolant was from the cap. Filled ip the reserve, checked the level in the radiator and went on another ride. Still smelled radiator fluid.
The next day I drained some oil to check for coolant in the oil, and it was clean. Next I was going to check the coolant for oil and looked for the drain plug on the crankcase pan and it was long gone.
No idea when it happened but at no point did the bike even approach overheating.
Today I drained and flushed the radiator and which was full.
While flushing, water only drained from the radiator drain plug and not from the crankcase.
How screwed am I? I’m supposed to receive a new plug and crush washer in the post today and have no idea how to proceed.

If the bolt isn't broken off in the hole, there must be crud clogging the hole.

Might try poking a stiff wire into the hole to see if that knocks anything loose.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that sounds like a possibility. i’ll try that next. Any idea what size/part number the drain bolt is? I bought the one the guy from partzilla said was the right one, (6/10) which arrived today and is clearly not correct. The crankcase diagram in the manuals is pretty confusing when it comes to the drain bolts. As always thank you for your helpful responses.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I think I found it here, but not in stock, it only says 6x10 for the size.

Part number 92002A ... 92002-1628 The number is covered by a logo on the drawing.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I found it here, but not in stock, it only says 6x10 for the size.

Part number 92002A ... 92002-1628

Thanks for looking. That’s the same one I bought and it’s way too small. I’m sure I can find the right size somewhere. I bought the one from ebay that fits a 900. It might work. It was the only one that was crankcase coolant specific.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Might try poking a stiff wire into the hole to see if that knocks anything loose.
I just got a healthy amount of crud put of the hole. I hope thay clears it up. It might’ve been the reason I didn’t lose all my fluid.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Thanks for looking. That’s the same one I bought and it’s way too small. I’m sure I can find the right size somewhere. I bought the one from ebay that fits a 900. It might work. It was the only one that was crankcase coolant specific.

It may be the same, the site above doesn't show the 900 so I looked at the 800. Still shows 6x10... and not available.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I just got a healthy amount of crud put of the hole. I hope thay clears it up. It might’ve been the reason I didn’t lose all my fluid.

Probably a good idea to flush it again, after some vigorous poking.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have flushed my bike through the radiator hoses using a garden hose. Honestly though I forgot about the drain bolt on the block. Eitherway I like pushing lot of water through the engine to flush it. Did you by any chance have Dex Cool in the bike at any time and then used a "universal" coolant? That can lead to blockages as has been warned about by several members on this forum. In spite of the fact Dex Cool was the stock coolant many guys have had bad luck with it and if you are flushing make sure you get it clean. Maybe even use some chemicals to ensure it is flushed.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dexcool was used by the factory in these bikes at some point. Eventually manufacturers abandoned it, after the lawsuits I assume.

Deathcool, the red death.

View attachment 55108
I’ve been using Dexcool the whole time I’ve had my bike. I saw your post with this picture a few days ago and decided to switch. The coolant I drained today was totally fine. Everything that came out was clean.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have flushed my bike through the radiator hoses using a garden hose. Honestly though I forgot about the drain bolt on the block. Eitherway I like pushing lot of water through the engine to flush it. Did you by any chance have Dex Cool in the bike at any time and then used a "universal" coolant? That can lead to blockages as has been warned about by several members on this forum. In spite of the fact Dex Cool was the stock coolant many guys have had bad luck with it and if you are flushing make sure you get it clean. Maybe even use some chemicals to ensure it is flushed.
i’m not sure what the guy had in it before I bought it but I started using dexcool right away and it’s always been fine. I switched to red this time because of some of the other users bad experiences. I just used a garden hose to flush today and the coolant looked fresh still.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The problems with sludge occur when other coolants are mixed with Dexcool in my opinion. (Although you an have other problems if you have a lot of leaks and air gets in the cooling system.) If there is any small pocket of Dexcool somewhere and other coolant is added you can get a "slug" of crap that can lodge almost anywhere. I too use Dexcool as it is the coolant used in my XJ8. Since I have it on hand I have never had any issues with adding coolant when it is low. I do not trust the universal coolants and would not combine them with Dexcool as I know problems can happen with it. In my Fords I use plain Zerox ethylene glycol (green) type antifreeze and will use universal types if necessary. Most of my Fords have almost no aluminum components except maybe the water pump. My Jaguar and Vulcan engines are almost all aluminum with hardly anything other metal used. When I purchased my bike from the original owner I was told it had Dexcool in it at the time. Then when I bought a car with it I decided to keep with it. Regular maintenance is important though as it will age out . Although Zerox requires changing also I have not heard of it creating the globs of crap that Dexcool will. It just looses its ability to stop rust which results in a whole other host of problems. Regular, proper flushes and maintenance are important regardless..

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The problems with sludge occur when other coolants are mixed with Dexcool in my opinion. (Although you an have other problems if you have a lot of leaks and air gets in the cooling system.) If there is any small pocket of Dexcool somewhere and other coolant is added you can get a "slug" of crap that can lodge almost anywhere. I too use Dexcool as it is the coolant used in my XJ8. Since I have it on hand I have never had any issues with adding coolant when it is low. I do not trust the universal coolants and would not combine them with Dexcool as I know problems can happen with it. In my Fords I use plain Zerox ethylene glycol (green) type antifreeze and will use universal types if necessary. Most of my Fords have almost no aluminum components except maybe the water pump. My Jaguar and Vulcan engines are almost all aluminum with hardly anything other metal used. When I purchased my bike from the original owner I was told it had Dexcool in it at the time. Then when I bought a car with it I decided to keep with it. Regular maintenance is important though as it will age out . Although Zerox requires changing also I have not heard of it creating the globs of crap that Dexcool will. It just looses its ability to stop rust which results in a whole other host of problems. Regular, proper flushes and maintenance are important regardless..
Yeah I change my coolant every couple of years. I’ve never had any sludge or overheating problems. The bike had not been treated very well before I bought it but it hasn’t had very many problems. Little annoying things.

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts

Reading through this, I realized I have no idea where this crankcase "hole" is that should be drained when replacing coolant. Where should I look?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Reading through this, I realized I have no idea where this crankcase "hole" is that should be drained when replacing coolant. Where should I look?
Right side of the engine, on the bottom, under the water pump.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts