Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ride hard
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be new to registering to this website but not new to the website been comeing here for alot of questions and usually been finding them out but right now i am lost!!! I just put a new battery in my bike and after charging it i tried starting my bike, when it was about to turn over i heard a pop and lost all power to my bike I checked all the fuses in the JB and they where all good. I am really lost i think it might be a relay but have no clue where to start! If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!!! Brandon

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
First thing I'd do is take out the battery and check it. It should show 12.5-12.8 volts.

By no power I am guessing you mean no lights, no horn.

I'd then check each fuse with an electrical tester...not just look at them. Then check the battery terminals... Make sure the ground wire is tight.

If the fuses and battery check out OK... Put the battery back in and see if everything is still dead. (make sure your kill switch is on run)

Are you sure you got the + and - attached to the right battery posts?

Batteries can short out. What kind of battery is it and what kind of charger?

It is possible you fried something in the JB... But I'd check everything above out first.

·
Registered
748 Posts
That "pop", at an educated guess, was prolly at the starter button? When it happened to me, I cleaned nearly all the electrical connections and it still wouldn't start; I'd get electricity back, but lose it when I hit the start button. There's more to the story, but it turned out the front seal in the starter leaked oil into the starter. Cleaned that out, polished the galling on the armature and commutator, reassembled it, and was able to finish the trip and get back home. Changed the starter when I got back; the old one is sitting at one end of my bench with new seals and brushes waiting to be rebuilt properly.

A bad connection in the starter circuit will do the same thing; so will a loose ground connection.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts