Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving down I95 cruising around 80 mph and the pavement opened up in front of me so I decided to push the old girl to see what she has left in her. I jumped up to around a 100 and then ... loss of power and stall. The only reason I really knew it happened was I stopped accelerating. So I let off the throttle and decelled extremely fast so went back wide open and headed for the shoulder. Once on the shoulder I started the bike and it stalled within a few seconds. Started thinking that I was gonna need a tow but I tried again and then she started right up like nothing was wrong. Made it home with no incident aswell.
If this, or something similar, has happned to anybody please let me know OR if you have an idea what it might be it would be very appreciated.
Also I put this thread in fuel and carbs because that is my guess what it was but not exactly sure if it could be anything else.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Do you remember how much gas you had in the tank?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a little less then half of a tank...

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
It's the Phantom Out of Gas Syndrome that has been mentioned here as of late. We haven't found the cure yet but I'm sure someone here will find it.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
The very first thing I'd do is a large Seafoam treatment and see if that helps.

After that, the first (and easiest) thing I'd check on the bike would be the air filters and the vent line going into the right ear.

Next would be the fuel filter (well, screen really) that is part of the petcock. Might need a new gasket if you check that.

If no problems or solutions are found there, then I'd look into the carbs.

Could also be as simple as a plugged gas tank vent.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks
will check it out and let you guys know what i find

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Just in case you thought I was joking about the Phantom Gas Syndrome, (Knifemaker came up with it, not me) here is one of the threads that talk about the exact same symptoms you describe.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7428

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea after reading the other thread it sounds exactly what happened to me....willl check the tank and seafoam it up. Thanks everybody

·
Registered
311 Posts
This happened to me Yesterday, after a hard run through the first three gears. then leveled off to cruising speed, it acted like it was running out of gas, way short of the usual distance. Then I remembered the other post about opening the fuel cap. When I got home I took the fuel cap off the bike and took it apart (5 screws) to see if something could be blocking the vent. Sure enough, there was some crud blocking a small vent. There is also a check valve in there. Maybe that was hanging up too. I thoroughly cleaned it.
Then I took another red line gear run, seemed to work fine, no fuel starvation problems.

·
Registered
311 Posts
There is an easy way to check to see if the cap is moving enough air. Pull one fuel line off the petcock and hook a hose to it, drain it into a container. Turn the petcock to prime and watch the flow for about a min. Then open the fuel cap and see if the flow increases.
When I did this to my tank, the fuel just dribbled, until I opened the fuel cap, then it flowed like gangbuskers. That's when I figured the vent was blocked someplace. I had checked the hose at the back and the hole in the top of the tank, so it had to be blocked in the cap. It's just a small passage the air has to go through on it's way through the cap. Be careful there is three small springs, that the three main screws in the latch run through.
Also there is three rubber 0-ring gasket like deals, under the mounting plate.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Correction; 5 springs and 4 screws. Too much carb cleaner and gas fumes. My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely :doh:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely :doh:
Hell, I'm still huntin' for mine from the last time it wandered off...

...or maybe it was the first time...

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts