Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It used to occur at around 55 mph but now the problem begins at 40mph every time. The bike won't accelerate no matter how much gas I give it and the bike shakes like crazy. I have a manual but it has t been helping. I have no idea how to diagnose this problem nor do I know where to start.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
It used to occur at around 55 mph but now the problem begins at 40mph every time. The bike won't accelerate no matter how much gas I give it and the bike shakes like crazy. I have a manual but it has t been helping. I have no idea how to diagnose this problem nor do I know where to start.
Does it run ok up to those speeds? Will it wind up in 1st and 2nd?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Wen you say the bike shakes like crazy.....are you talking about above 40MPH when you are trying to accelerate?

If the bike shakes on the centerstand at idle, I would be concerned about balancer dampers failing. If this is the case, you should be seeing flakes of plastic or rubber in the oil screen (left side drain plug). If you find this to be the case, DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE untill it is fixed. You could wind up having the gear chew through the left side case.

If it is just fuel starvation, give it a good dose of SeaFoam and see if it improves. if not, you will most likely need to pull the carbs and clean them.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Wen you say the bike shakes like crazy.....are you talking about above 40MPH when you are trying to accelerate?

If the bike shakes on the centerstand at idle, I would be concerned about balancer dampers failing. If this is the case, you should be seeing flakes of plastic or rubber in the oil screen (left side drain plug). If you find this to be the case, DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE untill it is fixed. You could wind up having the gear chew through the left side case.

Been there ....done that :doh:

If it is just fuel starvation, give it a good dose of SeaFoam and see if it improves. if not, you will most likely need to pull the carbs and clean them.
x2

:smiley_th

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
H

Well what is happening is yes to all the gears hitting correctly. I changed the oil hoping that was the problem and it was clean as well. Although i did put it on center stand while engine off popped it in gear and the wheel spins a good quarter if a turn before locking......could it be spline?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine sounds fine it's getting the gas it sounds like. Has a full tank I did also notice air leaking out of the gasket in the lid though...that's all I know

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Yes it's when I'm trying to get past 40mph is when the back end starts shaking!
....never heard of back end shaking....
Your splines seem good.... is there a bubble in your tire ?
hth

:smiley_th

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Your splines are nearly gone.
Yup!

Pull it apart to check. If you need another final drive, let me know.. I have 2 spares!

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Well what is happening is yes to all the gears hitting correctly. I changed the oil hoping that was the problem and it was clean as well. Although i did put it on center stand while engine off popped it in gear and the wheel spins a good quarter if a turn before locking......could it be spline?
You shouldn't be getting over a quarter turn of spin with the engine in 1st and the rear up. I'm good for less than 10th of a turn spin on the centerstand.

Something in the driveshaft or rear drive, probably the splines about ready to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts