Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 94 vulcan and for some reason its losing power not in battery thou it will not start now I replaced the seloanoid replaced the junction box eveb bought new wiring harness still nothing I'm getting power to rectifier and don't know what else to do when I hit start button it acts like it doesn't have enough power to crank up batterys good and would like to know if it has a alternator on this model or what it could be please help.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
where exactly are you getting power to the rectifier at? A1,A2,A3, or at white wire? if you are getting power at the white wire, its just residual feed back from the battery... There isn't a normal alternator on most motorcycles (the vn7xx included). Instead we have a Stator which produces 3 Phase AC voltage, hence we have a Rectifier which in turn converts the ac voltage to DC voltage, then the Regulator regulates the Voltage to maintain the proper battery voltage dependent upon load of the electrical system.

In theory, the Stator and Charging system as a whole should not effect the engines ability to start. Common problems to week starts is:
Bad Frame Ground
Bad Engine Ground
Loos Battery Terminal Connections
Bad Starter Motor Connections (Ground or Positive)
Bad connections in the Ignition Switch
Bad Contacts inside the start button switch

Another question. How do you know the battery is good? Has it been load tested? Have you tried jump starting it with an car battery?

Also you say its loosing power. How so... you crank a couple of times and the battery is dead? Or you let the bike sit over night and the battery seams week, then you recharge it and its fine?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slim

I mean I push the button the selonoid clicks like crazy and the starter turns over but not enough to crank and I tryed to jump start the starter with jumper cable still nothing

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
If you try jumping with another vehicle, like auto ect, do it without the motor running. Have read here that can cause damage!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
If you try jumping with another vehicle, like auto ect, do it without the motor running. Have read here that can cause damage!
I have read that too, but I don`t understand why it should. :confused:
Both vehicles are 12 volts dc. The starter will only draw what current it needs.
FWIW, I would not be afraid to boost my own bike with the car engine running.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
have you tried taking apart the starter? Pull off the starter and bench test it. also with the starter off, try turning the engine over by hand... if the engine turns over hard then you have internal engine problems. If the stater fails spin very fast, you will need to rebuild the starter... This does not sound like a charging issue, but more like a mechanical or starter issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I noticed last night that my ground to the battery had came out of terminal hook up it was loose my battery was reading 11.5 but is that from me trying to crank it so much while the ground wasn't on there I heard my battery making sizzling sounds as well its a new battery could that have been the problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts