Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped the bike this morning in my driveway while barely moving, and now I have a loose shifter. It now is loose moving inside and out. and will not shift out of first gear.

I found this old post: If it's loose in/out there's a simple work around which ya can probably find or ask here and I or someone else will post (basically ya shim it on the outside - there's a c-clip on the inside that comes loose).

Is there anyone that can tell me how I can fix this? I'm really hoping it does not involve an engine pull, I just got the bike a few days ago!!! Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
If all you did was knock off the clip inside the case, you can just pull the lever so it is as far out as you can pull it , then measure the space between the shifter lever and the case.

You just need to take off the shifter and install a spacer or a stack of washers that are add up to that measurement to keep the shifter from moving in towards the engine case.

Many have had to do this, and each used something a bit different;) If that is all that is wrong this will solve the problem.

KM

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.... Is there a trick to getting the shift lever off the shaft? I've removed the bolt, but it wont budge.....

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.... Is there a trick to getting the shift lever off the shaft? I've removed the bolt, but it wont budge.....
Not really. Usually just moving it side to side will get it to come off. You could try using WD-40 ( anything similar ) and let it soak a few minutes. You could also put a screwdriver flat head into the slot where the bolt goes thru and pry it open a little. Unless the shaft end is mushroomed it should come off fairly easy.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
try sticking a flat bladed screwdriver in the gap after removing the shifter bolt and twisting a little bit to make the opening on the lever a little larger. i wouldn't just pull on the lever cause it might break something on the other end of the shaft you don't want to break.
i had the problem with the shaft moving in and out, but i didn't have any problem with it shifting. sounds like you may already have messed something up on the other end of the shaft. i think you can get at that stuff by removing the cover on the right side of the engine. there are a couple connecting links and stuff according to the manual that might have broken.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Electrum, thanks for the reply, gonna try using the screwdriver when I get home. Well, the problem with the shifting, is that the shaft moves toward the frame when I try to shift, and then the shift level hits the frame, preventing me from being able to shift up. So I am hoping once the shim is in place, everything will be ok....

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the problem is that there is so much play, that the shifter moves in and bangs into the frame when you try to shift. It hits the nut that hold the foot peg on. Crossing my fingers and installing a spacer when I get home after I get the shift lever off...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a 95 a few years ago that had the same issue. I cut a piece of pvc plumbing pipe(1/2" I think) to the right length, painted it black and used it as a spacer.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A piece of half inch copper pipe cut at 1 and 16th inch solved the issue Shifter now has about eighth inch play, and from what I have read on here, is considered normal. It was tough knowing the correct position to put the shift lever back in to, but after a couple of tries I got it. I did not have a washer to put on also, so I'm hoping just using the copper pipe will be ok. Thanks to everyone for their help....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts