Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Amber-Turn-Signal-Bullet-Light-Street-Bike-Sport-Bike-Chopper-Custom-/121380404378?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1993|Make:Kawasaki|Model:Vulcan+750&hash=item1c42d5fc9a&vxp=mtr

I found these on eBay. They're not DOT approved but it says they fit Vulcan 750. They look completely different than the original turn signals but since they're only $10, I'm considering buying these solely for price. Also, if they do fit, will these pass inspection at most garages?

·
2,527 Posts
The stock turn signals twist in place and get held in with a screw. These you will need to bolt on from the back side of the grab bar. Anything will fit it you make it. Not sure how much a garage cares for passing inspection, as long as they work.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Depends on the state and county for inspections... When I was in Texas, Belton county wouldn't pass my bike for the turn signals and cobra exhaust, one county over in Lampassas passed the bike with flying colors. Funny thing... It was the same mechanic and same garage on the same day.. Lol

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
No inspections in AZ, but the cops are constantly writing tickets for illegal signals. Most sport bike riders use the flush fairing mount ones. If the cop sees you making a turn using them, you get 2 tickets. An equipment violation, and a ticket for turning without a signal, as illegal signals don't count. That's just here, I'm sure it's different in other states, but it might even be worse in some. You should be able to find some used oem signals on eBay. I rode my dual sport bike around for years with no turn signals. Just used arm signals. Legal here. I had to put them back on to go to CA.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, Shark, I know there is a rubber part that twists off and then the actual bolt. Looking just at the pic of the signals on eBay, I think they will just bolt right on. I guess i can put a few rubber washers or something in between for better connection.

Do you know if the wires are just plug and play, or if I'll have to get them soldered. The oem's just popped in and out via a metal prong.

·
Registered
54 Posts
most likely the bullet connector ends on the lights you linked are bigger than the stock ones on the bike. I bought some LED replacement turn signals off ebay, and the stock bullet connectors are much smaller, and I'm having a devil of a time finding that size in any local stores so I don't have to cut and solder.

You can always just get replacement crimp-on bullet connectors from Rat Shack, etc and replace the ones on the bike wiring harness and the new lights. I'm trying to find original size connectors for my lights in case I have to revert to stock for any reason

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Them things on ebay are tiny, with a reg bulb....you cant hardly see em in the day.....I have a similar pair for marker lights....

....I went to a boneyard, and bought 4 Yamaha all steel signals for $10....instand ground so ya only need 2 wires....and most jap lenses are interchangable.....my Yammys were same diameter as the stock ones....

...scrap and salvage yards are your friend.....besides, its cool to walk around and check out the old iron (vintage stuff)....I used to go 2x/mo before I got sick....amazing what you can find.....

Mine looked like this...but these are Suzuki....search ebay for "vintage japanese turn signals"....dont search specifically for VNs...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks guys. I'm just going to get a pair off eBay and see if they fit. If not, I'll take them to radioshack and see if I can get a bigger female bullet connector. In that case, do I just cut right where my fingers are in the pic and crimp on the connector? I'm not worried about reverting back to stock as my stock signals are no good - the rubber arm is broke in half on both turn signal units.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wolfie, so you are able to get those vintage lights to fit on your vn even though it doesn't have the rubber base connection the stock vn units have? I'm all about getting some nice vintage lights on, I just need to make sure i can somehow install them snug and securely.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
You can see in this pic how my signals dangle due to the rubber splitting
I see you have the turn signals attached to part of the Kawasaki turn signal relocator/saddlebag mounting bracket. That will make fabricating a mounting bracket for aftermarket signals or signals from another make/model bike easier to do. You have a nice flat surface to work with. I would still be wary of illegal signals. Kinda depends on how the cops in your area are.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Michigan, that link was helpful. I think that's what I'll do - just try and cut some of that rubber out and connect the rubber base to the chrome piece coming off the light. I think I will be able to either glue the two sides together or clamp them together some how.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Why try to repair an easily found item ???? its gonna break again eventually....

Wolfie, so you are able to get those vintage lights to fit on your vn even though it doesn't have the rubber base connection the stock vn units have?
Yup....local hardware store....fender washer each side to cover the hole, and a star/lock washer from behind....same hole as where the stocks went....unless yer tryin t restore the bike to stock...why spend megabucks on an easy fix ????

...a9....you goy a real name ?...we cant keep callin ya this...its like R2D2....pick yerself a dcent nick (or we'll pick one for ya)....but seriosly...unless ya wanna restore the bike to OEM....why spend a ton of bucks ????....take a look at my Bessie....its 3/5 Harley, 1/5 Kawi....and 1/5 Triumph....

It all depends what ya wanna do...ya wanna ride....listen to me....ya wanna jerk off and do oem and stock....then order and wait....and HOPE ya get stuff....that fits....I think, my feelin...is YOU WANNA RIDE !!!!....

By the way....yer new boarname is now gonna be Hay Nine....dont care if ya like it or not...yer stuck with it now....fer now anyway...til we feel ya out better....never know....we may end up callin ya "Gloria" or some sheit, lol....

hay...when ya get yrt balls busted like this...means we like ya.... ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha, I accept 'Hay Nine'. I just want to ride.. doesn't have to be pretty or oem, just functional and able to pass inspection. So I'll definately start lookin for some vinatge turn signal units. Is connecting the wires gunna be a pain? I aint real good with anything electrical.. lol

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Haha, I accept 'Hay Nine'. I just want to ride.. doesn't have to be pretty or oem, just functional and able to pass inspection. So I'll definately start lookin for some vinatge turn signal unxits. Is connecting the wires gunna be a pain? I aint real good with anything electrical.. lol
How abouts we calls ya skippy?lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok, I got the two sides of rubber pieces trimmed down and flush. I think what I'm going to do is screw a screw to connect the two rubber pieces together. I hope it will be strong enough. Anyone have any better suggestions for connecting these? 100_1830.jpg

100_1831.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts