Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daily commute to work is getting chilly and I decided to look for an easily removed one piece suit. I am thinking getting one with armour as my mesh jacket is armoured and a one piece will eliminate multiple pieces of clothing. I need something to wear over my work clothes that can be put on and take off without removing my boots.

I thought of just getting some bibs to go over my jeans but it seems I am just adding more clothes to carry around for the warmer ride home.

Hell, I don't know what I want until I see it and I guess I need some guidance here because most suits are a fair investment and I really need to get what I need the first time around.

A little help here.....BTW I live in west Texas, I probably will only ride with the temp above freezing.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
One piece sutes are pricy, A good pait of chaps will help and zip on and off. Mine are good over jeans to about 40, colder than that I add long underwear under the jeans. They fit nicley in a saddle bag also.

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
I grew up in the North, and have used snowmobile suits or ski bibs in the past in the cold months. Check your local sporting goods stores.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, I like it a lot. Once I got the hang of it, I can put it on or take it off in under a minute. Keeps me dry in light rain and traffic spray, havn't ridden in heavy rain yet. It's got plenty of pockets that are well located. Temperature wise, it comfortable to ride without the zipout insulation down to about 45 degrees. With the insulation, I'd ride all the way down to freezing temps. It's very comfortable to ride in, doesn't bunch up or pinch or pull. With the right gloves, it's definately a 3 season suit (fall, winter, spring). It's too warm to wear once the temp gets above 75 degrees.

Things I don't like:
Not a great fit, since it comes in generic S,M,L type sizing. It fits good, but not great the way a Aerostich suit would...but at 1/3rd the cost, I'll compromise.
The hip armor is only held in with velcro and comes dislodged easily.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Many years ago, I used to commute to work on my bike in the winter, wearing a Sears one-piece insulated coverall. It was cheap, quick, and easy, but the comfort range for outside temperatures was kind of narrow.

I started looking for a better suit a couple of years ago and couldn't find any one-piece suits that I really liked. I finally decided to go the two-piece route and am glad I did. I have a Fieldsheer "Zero Condition" jacket and Fieldsheer "Astro" pants. They both are waterproof, have removable quilted liners, zippered vents, and have removable armor. I have ridden with these on the freeway for hours at the time with temperatures in the mid-20's with no discomfort at all. In much warmer weather, with the liner removed and the zipper vents open, the jacket is very comfortable with temperatures in the 70's.

For me, the ability to use the two-piece components in a variety of weather conditions is an advantage that outweighs the convenience of the one-piece suits.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh yes, both two piece and one piece suits have advantages.

I need to get a good two piece suit...maybe in the spring. Something more suited to warm weather riding though.

My one piece covers freezing up to 60 comfortably. Between 60-70 it's just ok. Above 70, too hot. So I need something that is good for 65 to summer temps. I'm thinking about a mesh jacket & pants with the gortex liners.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Well I can tell you what not to wear. I wore some sweat pants to attend a presentation today and it was like not wearing anything at all. Even shorts are more wind resistant than sweats.

·
Registered
553 Posts
myron said:
Help,

What kind of saddlebags are best for the VN750?

Thanks, Myron
That question will get a lot of different answers as there are a lot of good bags out there, just look for the best quality in your price range. Get bolt on if possible,they hold up better in the long run in my opinion.
BTW I checked out your personal page and I just have to ask what is a school teachedr?:p
You may want to ask this ? in a new thread to get more responses and do a search on saddle bags, that should get you more info also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts