Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Since I am ditching the saddlebags from my bike, I'd like a passenger seat mounted bag with the following specs:

* Quick release mounting system
* Big enough to hold gear and school books / supplies
* Durable and weatherproof
* Leather
* Has shoulder strap

I've been eyeballing one from Leatherup.com, but they never have it in stock. All the other brands they offer are too expensive or don't meet my needs. So, I figure I ask here and see what ideas the community has.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Check out the thread on Viking bags, or just hit the link for Viking. I posted a couple of bags with driver backrest that I'm interested in, but they seem to have a wide selection of all sorts of bags.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Check out the thread on Viking bags, or just hit the link for Viking. I posted a couple of bags with driver backrest that I'm interested in, but they seem to have a wide selection of all sorts of bags.
I wish I could see one actually mounted on the VN750. They always look like they would be too big to put on the 'back' seat. The backrest feature sure sounds nice though.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Here's what I have used the past 2 years. Not leather but very good.

Do you just have than on your backseat? Or on your luggage rack? Does it affix to the sissy-bar?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Here's what I have used the past 2 years. Not leather but very good.

Do you just have than on your backseat? Or on your luggage rack? Does it affix to the sissy-bar?
Now it is on a luggage rack. I did use it on the back of the seat. It also will attach to the sissy bar. It comes with many straps and quick release buckles. Two of my friends now use them on their VN 900s.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks alright; but I need it a bit wider than 8.5 inches, more like 10 to 12.5 inches.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Well, I think VikingBags will have another customer soon. This appears to be the most functional bag I have found yet. Can't wait to get my hands on one.
I saw that one too, kind of interesting. I was trying to figure out how well it would work on the sides if the bike has saddlebags. My guess is that the sides of it would pretty much sit on top of the saddle bags (maybe not quite).

Also wondering how much room it actually has - like if you are packing for a camping trip or something.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw that one too, kind of interesting. I was trying to figure out how well it would work on the sides if the bike has saddlebags. My guess is that the sides of it would pretty much sit on top of the saddle bags (maybe not quite).

Also wondering how much room it actually has - like if you are packing for a camping trip or something.
It looks to be a good day tripper bag. I don't plan on any multi-day trips anytime soon; so, I think this bag will work for me. Just need something big enough and portable enough to haul some gear and my college stuff in.

·
Registered
941 Posts
It looks to be a good day tripper bag. I don't plan on any multi-day trips anytime soon; so, I think this bag will work for me. Just need something big enough and portable enough to haul some gear and my college stuff in.
yeah I understand - and that sounds like it would work well for you.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, that bag ain't gonna work. The passenger seat only has 7 to 8 inches available and the bag needs 13.5 inches. Back to the drawing board... If only I hadn't sold my luggage rack...

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
This bag came with my bike when I bought it. http://www.lazyrider.com/lazy_rider_bag_pics.asp

It did not have the shoulder strap or the backrest, but it does have steel rings on each end that you can hook a strap to and it fits well enough on the back seat. It's not shown, but there is a Velcro strap about 6 inches wide that wraps around the sissy bar and you can just slide the whole bag off and on, OR turn it around. At times I liked the extra back support but at other times it felt just a little annoying because there is no cushion, at which time I just turned it around and rested it on my tail light. I have a luggage rack now, but I never had a problem with the tail light. The inside diameter of mine is 8.25 inches. A bigger one might not work on the back seat, but resting on the taillight should still work.

When I have to take my laptop I just put the laptop bag on the back seat and strap it to the sissy bar with a pair of bungee cords or a stretchy cargo net. Depending on how heavy your books are, you might try the same thing with a plain old backpack. The only problem I can see would be if the books were real heavy and slid off in a turn, but there is not much centrifugal force on a motorcycle because of the leaning. I have never had a problem with my laptop bag shifting even a little.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
This bag came with my bike when I bought it. http://www.lazyrider.com/lazy_rider_bag_pics.asp

It did not have the shoulder strap or the backrest, but it does have steel rings on each end that you can hook a strap to and it fits well enough on the back seat. At times I liked the extra back support but at other times it felt just a little annoying because there is no cushion, at which time I just turned it around and rested it on my tail light. I have a luggage rack now, but I never had a problem with the tail light. The inside diameter of mine is 8.25 inches. A bigger one might not work on the back seat, but resting on the taillight should still work.

When I have to take my laptop I just put the laptop bag on the back seat and strap it to the sissy bar with a pair of bungee cords or a stretchy cargo net. Depending on how heavy your books are, you might try the same thing with a plain old backpack. The only problem I can see would be if the books were real heavy and slid off in a turn, but there is not much centrifugal force on a motorcycle because of the leaning. I have never had a problem with my laptop bag shifting even a little.
I like it !
:smiley_th x2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts