Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I looked at one. It is a 99 883 up graded to 1200cc conversion. Has 13,000 miles. The price is 3,450$.

And I looked at a 1100 honda an 02 8200 miles. Price on it is 3800. It felt a bit big, but it handles really good.

I am trying to get the rpms lower at highway speed. I think the sporty will be much the same as our vulcan. The honda will bring down the rpms but will not have the low end power that the sporty or the vulcan will have.

Any input.

And I am not tring to impress anyone but myself here.lol

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
I would go with the Honda, as you said it handles a lot better then the other. I am sure after a few rides the bigness of it will disappear and it will feel comfortable.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I rode an 1100 Shadow (not sure of model, but same custom style as vn750) about a year before I got my Vulcan, and I think it felt a little more stable to me at 85 mph than my 750 does. I think it is because the 1100 has a bit longer wheelbase and is heavier. I want to take the Shadow for another ride next year after riding my bike again for awhile, and see what I think about it then.

I know I am a few inches taller than you niterider, and a lot bigger. If you get the seat foam shaved thinner at the front, the 1100 may not feel so big.

I was looking at a 1200 Sporty at last night and really like it. I`m envious of you for either of them.

Here is a link with an equation to figure out rpm vs. velocity, if you know the gear ratios, final drive ratios and rear tire sizes of the bikes.
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=094&Set=

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
I agree with Weh44att. I remember the first time I climbed on my VN. After having ridden nothing but small dirt bikes it seemed imposing. After I lived with it for a couple of weeks it seemed like jumping on my old Honda dirt bike.

I'd go with the Honda also. Half the cost of a Harley is buying the name and I'd just be a little cautious about buying a bike with any kind of engine conversion (factory authorized or not). Unless you know the guy that did it you can't tell what kind of a job he did and that could come back to bite you.

R

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I'd go with the Honda. It will not seem too big in a couple weeks, and you can't beat them for reliability and they are tough to kill, even when neglected. I have a honda as a 2nd bike, and it never fails to start with a touch of the button, even if left a couple weeks. It's a 1984 with 23,000 miles, and runs like new.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The conversion was done by Short Block Charlie in Phoenix AZ. Not that that says anything to me. Does it to anyone out there?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
Personaly I would jump on the Honda, when I get the money together that is gonna be my next bike. I have ridden a few Harleys and I would much rather own a Honda any day. just my opinion

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am leaning towards the honda. I would like to add that I do flat foot the honda. The sporty is a bit taller.

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
if you go for the honda and dont like it i will take full responsiblity and you can drop it off at my house, no questions asked. sound good?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh man there is nothing not to like. The engine, exhaust system is stock and it is BLUE!!!

BTW, the seller practically made me ride it.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
The Honda has its battery in a similar location to that of our bike. Be sure to inspect the frame in the area underneath the battery for acid damage. If the Honda checks out ok there and per the rest of your inspection, then it's basically a "no-brainer"....get the Honda.

The Honda Shadows are some of the most reliable motorcycles ever made. You can spend more, but you really can't get more reliable. The 1100 Shadow was built for a really long time (much like our Vulcan) in part because Honda never was really able to upstage it with newer models. Also: the aftermarket world is pretty generous with this bike.

The Honda will be much cheaper in terms of maintenance and overall operating costs. Plus--it runs fine all day long on regular gas.

Yet another advantage with the Honda--it has very generous lean angles on both sides of the bike, something not easily found on most cruisers. If you enjoy riding really winding roads like "the Dragon"...then this is something to think about.

Assuming the Honda is in reasonably good shape, you won't be sorry if you pick the Honda.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx for the advice and support. I went with the honda. The man went down to 3500, as he had let the bike go down cause of the rain that softened the ground and gave way under the stand. The sheild got broken. The shield was not much count to me anyways. It was too small.
Anyways thanx.

Pics later.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I looked at one. It is a 99 883 up graded to 1200cc conversion. Has 13,000 miles. The price is 3,450$.

And I looked at a 1100 honda an 02 8200 miles. Price on it is 3800. It felt a bit big, but it handles really good.

I am trying to get the rpms lower at highway speed. I think the sporty will be much the same as our vulcan. The honda will bring down the rpms but will not have the low end power that the sporty or the vulcan will have.

Any input.

And I am not tring to impress anyone but myself here.lol
Isn't 1200 cc a lot of engine for the 883 frame?
My feelings are that the Honda is newer, as designed, likely made better, and the Harley seems underpriced. I would ask why that is so.
But then, I am not really fair with Harleys.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
NR, I believe you did right, the Honda was newer & with 5k less miles, and then there was the jug & pistons switch on the Sportster to question...:beerchug:...

Jim wrote-Isn't 1200 cc a lot of engine for the 883 frame?
They have the same frame, actually about the only difference other than price, is the 883cc & 1200cc and a bit of lower gearing for the 883s...:blah:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Good job. I am looking at vtx1800's and 1300's

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Congratulations Niterider. I think you made the right choice. I haven't ridden a lot of different bikes but my curiosity is growing.

You're not leaving us now that you're riding another brand are you? :smiley_th :motorcycl

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Congrats on the new bike Niterider! Honda's are good bikes. I'm sure you'll be enjoying that one! Is it an Aero, Spirit or Sabre? (I think they made all three in 02???)
After looking it up, they did.
Spirit:

Sabre:

Aero:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Congrats on a new bike,you will enjoy the smoother ride and I personally really like Hondas,and you do have a bike the aftermarket still has a lot of support for.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats on the new bike Niterider! Honda's are good bikes. I'm sure you'll be enjoying that one! Is it an Aero, Spirit or Sabre? (I think they made all three in 02???)
After looking it up, they did.
Spirit:

Sabre:

Aero:
What I do know is that is has mags, and the big fender like in this picture. And two pipes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts