Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, chrome side covers were available on a few models...I forget which years. Very desirable and not easy to find now....
If I'm not mistaken, they're not actually metal, are they? Just chrome plating over plastic? I found some on Ebay, but they're not something I absolutely have to have.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
What a sexy gal! Chrome side covers, or a trick of the light? Gorgeous bike, Spockster!!!

Thanks. They're chrome, from a '97 I think, might also come on the '05. The '03 covers are burgundy metallic, I traded with someone on the forum.

My bike comes from a little bit of everywhere.

Edit... Covers are plastic, so they'll never rust. Don't wax plastic chrome or it will fade.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I have an 05, the side covers are black. I saw the chrome on earlier bikes. Is the coating on those different from the air box chrome? I ask because that and the “chrome” overflow bottle cover I have both bubbled. I bought a new pair of air boxes from another member (name escapes me) and I’m thinking about using the other pair to experiment with a different look. Not quite sure what yet though.

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have an 05, the side covers are black. I saw the chrome on earlier bikes. Is the coating on those different from the air box chrome? I ask because that and the “chrome” overflow bottle cover I have both bubbled. I bought a new pair of air boxes from another member (name escapes me) and I’m thinking about using the other pair to experiment with a different look. Not quite sure what yet though.
You ever anodize anything? It's cheap and easy. Used to anodize RC helicopter parts. Not plastic, of course...

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
I honestly don't know, but your bottle cover isn't very old is it? One of the small heat shields on top of head on mine has a bubble across the top. Not a real heat shield, just a plastic trim.

There's a process to spray chrome on plastic, I looked into it a few years ago, pretty amazing process and results. Literally a couple of minutes spraying, a rinse and it's done. There's some shops that will spray whatever you send them.

I'm about to try hydro dipping, going to order a tank ($25 swimming pool) as soon I get the shop ready. They have a chrome hydrodip film but I have no idea what the results look like. Going to do Fall camo on my atv. Then maybe some guns, helmets, who knows.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I honestly don't know, but your bottle cover isn't very old is it? One of the small heat shields on top of head on mine has a bubble across the top. Not a real heat shield, just a plastic trim.

There's a process to spray chrome on plastic, I looked into it a few years ago, pretty amazing process and results. Literally a couple of minutes spraying, a rinse and it's done. There's some shops that will spray whatever you send them.

I'm about to try hydro dipping, going to order a tank ($25 swimming pool) as soon I get the shop ready. They have a chrome hydrodip film but I have no idea what the results look like. Going to do Fall camo on my atv. Then maybe some guns, helmets, who knows.
Interested to see the results

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I’m a city dweller limited work space at home so I don’t get to be too adventurous. Lots of ideas get thrown in the “someday” bucket
You can do anodizing in something as small as a coffee cup. (If, that is, the part being anodized will fit in a coffee cup...

Fort a lot of small aluminum motorcycle parts, a simple plastic rubbermaid bin would work great. I might have to get back into it, it's pretty neat to do, really.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
The hydro dip. I never heard of it until you mentioned it in another thread before.
Ok, yeah I'll get some pics. There's a lot of videos on YouTube, they make it look easy. There's also a process where they pour paint on top of water then dip through it, comes out looking tie-dyed.

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
On maps, any road inside a state or national forest is designated FS - Forest Service, or NF - National Forest
Got it, thanks!

You folks remember those long road trips navigating with an awkward, semi-folded paper map splayed across the steering wheel?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

·
Super Moderator
12,378 Posts
We still use paper maps on trips. GPS is great, but I like being able to view all the surroundings on map.
Back before GPS, I’d print route maps and tape them to the gas tank. AAA used to offer “trip tickets” which broke your route into sections on a narrow flip book. You just flipped over to the next page as you progressed along. Not sure if they still provide those.

Also useful is stopping into the “ Visitors Center” of whatever state you enter. You can usually get free maps, and of course information on stuff on your route.

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
We still use paper maps on trips. GPS is great, but I like being able to view all the surroundings on map.
Back before GPS, I’d print route maps and tape them to the gas tank. AAA used to offer “trip tickets” which broke your route into sections on a narrow flip book. You just flipped over to the next page as you progressed along. Not sure if they still provide those.

Also useful is stopping into the “ Visitors Center” of whatever state you enter. You can usually get free maps, and of course information on stuff on your route.
I don't remember those AAA trip tickets, but I do remember stopping at the Visitors Centers for leaflets and cards. They always made the tourist attractions look so much more impressive than they often were.

My old man was a truck driver, so whenever we were on family vacation road trips, he'd be on the CB radio all the time. I remember getting walkie-talkies one year for Christmas, and my brothers and I would be slinging trucker slang, not even knowing what half of it meant. Those were the good old days.

·
Super Moderator
12,378 Posts
Quick google search shows they still offer the TripTiks. You can get an online version, or, enter your information online and they will mail you the paper version.

If you’re a AAA member I think they are free.
More info here:

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Quick google search shows they still offer the TripTiks. You can get an online version, or, enter your information online and they will mail you the paper version.

If you’re a AAA member I think they are free.
More info here:
Wow! I wouldn't have imagined those would still be a thing. I'm not an AAA member. I think you have to be a senior citizen to qualify for that, right?

I've been meaning to ask you: Your avatar image... Who is that? I will not venture a guess lest I embarass myself with my stupidity.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts