Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,378 Posts
There a few roads in the US that have 9-11 miles of constant downhill grades. There’s one in Hawaii that’s like 23 miles.
Way back when, I went down a highway in New Hampshire that went across a pass in the White Mountains and went down for about 10 miles. Folks would take their bicycles up just to ride down it.

·
Super Moderator
12,378 Posts
This reminds me of the one and only time I ran out of gas on a motorcycle. 1970- something, there was a long (perhaps a mile) hill that ended at a major intersection....that had a gas station on each corner. (Shell, Sunoco, Mobile, and one I can’t remember)
The bike started chugging as I got near crest of the hill, and died as soon as I hit the top. I flicked it into neutral and coasted all the way down, making the light at the intersection, right into the Sunoco station, stopping right at one of the pumps.
A guy was filling up his car and waited until I got off the bike to tell me “That’s the quietest motorcycle I’ve ever seen.”
Rather than explain, I just said, “Yep. And it gets 78 miles per gallon”
(Which was somewhat true, it was a 185cc Suzuki TS185, and if you tried hard, it could get that mileage. But I rarely tried.....😉 )

·
Super Moderator
12,378 Posts
We still use paper maps on trips. GPS is great, but I like being able to view all the surroundings on map.
Back before GPS, I’d print route maps and tape them to the gas tank. AAA used to offer “trip tickets” which broke your route into sections on a narrow flip book. You just flipped over to the next page as you progressed along. Not sure if they still provide those.

Also useful is stopping into the “ Visitors Center” of whatever state you enter. You can usually get free maps, and of course information on stuff on your route.

·
Super Moderator
12,378 Posts
Quick google search shows they still offer the TripTiks. You can get an online version, or, enter your information online and they will mail you the paper version.

If you’re a AAA member I think they are free.
More info here:

·
Super Moderator
12,378 Posts
You can get AAA Classic for under $30.00 a year. They provide free towing, delivery of fuel, and a few other “roadside assistance” things like flat tire changing. Most regular insurance companies offer these as well, so there’s no good reason to be a AAA member if your insurance company provides these services. AAA will however post up to a $1000 Bond if you’re arrested for some traffic violation (other than DWI)
I’ve saved quite a bit of money being an AARP member however, mostly in motel/hotel discounts.
So wouldn’t say either are expensive, keeping in mind any type of insurance is just you trying to cover something that might not ever happen.

As for the avatar...
Face Eyelash Jaw Gesture Dress

She’s just another hot chick with a Katana I met online.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts