Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planning some long rides this year, and am adding a sissybar bag with duffle roll to my bike for the travels.

I do have a luggage rack on my bike, this information will help to know.

I'm trying to figure out a way that I can lock down the back to the bike, not just strap it down but actually lock it down to the bike.

I've though of a couple of ideas, but there are draw backs to each and was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions.

Idea #1 was to just use some cable locks and run from top straps or through grommet holes placed a top of the bag and down to the rack itself.

Problem with this would be trying to one get the grommets installed in the right place due to the back being already sewn together. Also that it's still a bit easy to pull off the bike, because you could easily just cut out the two grommets and the cable would be released.

Idea #2 would be instead to use a metal plate inside the bottom of the bag and drill holes through it that line up with grommet holes in the bottom of the bag. Then running a U-lock or cable lock through the wholes and attach to the rack. This would prevent the ability to cut out the grommets

Problem with this would be, that the holes would not be a the top of the bag, but rather at the bottom, which could cause water to get into them when taken off the bike, bu I don't think that would be too much of an issue really. The only other problem I see would be once again getting the grommets in due to not being able to reach.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, as I sometimes tend to do but do any of you have any ideas or solutions that have worked for you. I know that a lock is only to keep honest people out, I'm just wanting to make it hard for someone who might be tempted to just pull a huge bag off a bike.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
My bag has MOLLE strap points so I just used those. It really depends on what bag you use. With mine, I used several straps and a padlock. I used the straps to actually secure the bag and I ran the padlock through one of the loops and around my luggage rack. As long as the bag is securely strapped down, no one should mess with it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Just strap a pair of size 17 well worn Army boots to your bike, along with the sissy bag. That should make them somewhat nervous about swiping your bag. :)

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bag has MOLLE strap points so I just used those. It really depends on what bag you use. With mine, I used several straps and a padlock. I used the straps to actually secure the bag and I ran the padlock through one of the loops and around my luggage rack. As long as the bag is securely strapped down, no one should mess with it.
In so of the neighborhoods I'm gonna be in, including where I live I'm not sure that is so true.

Just strap a pair of size 17 well worn Army boots to your bike, along with the sissy bag. That should make them somewhat nervous about swiping your bag. :)
Haha sounds like a plan as long as I don't drop or leave behind of or my gazillion pink bandanas

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,731 Posts
In so of the neighborhoods I'm gonna be in, including where I live I'm not sure that is so true.
really?! wow! around here if you have anything on a bike, people leave it alone! saddle bags, tank bags, sissybar bags, hell I've even seen leather jackets laying across seats with no one in sight and no one messes with it.

have you thought of maybe getting a "trunk" for you luggage rack?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
really?! wow! around here if you have anything on a bike, people leave it alone! saddle bags, tank bags, sissybar bags, hell I've even seen leather jackets laying across seats with no one in sight and no one messes with it.

Lol I'm not sure if you are serious or not.:doh:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Haha Yes really. I've had my old car broken into 3 times, and my tracker broken into once in the locked parking garage at my apartment. In Nov. there were two robberies in 2 weeks at the same gas station next door, by the same people both times, the second time they took the ATM and it was found in the stairwell of the parking garage. I saw the 3 guys running into the apartment building.

The problem for me with the trunk is I need more space than that on a 10 day ride where I'm also bringing along camera equipment as well as camping equipment.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Hmmm...I'll bounce some ideas when you bring your bike over.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
my thoughts...
If keeping your (already owned) bag, I would go with your own Choice #2.

Also, consider all idea's which have been presented.

My choice, lock up bag, lock bag down, hang a worn Hand gun Holster in plain site on your bike...secure with a bolt !

just my 2 cents

WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
William, clear your box out again!!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
The solution I went with for my sissy bar bag... (semi-permanent attachment solution as I rarely take my bag off the bike)

I took a piece of flat bar and mounted it to the back of the sissy bar so that it sticks out to either side of the sissy bar. I have a hole drilled in wither end. I have a second bar of the same size with matching holes drilled for the inside of the bag. I mount the bag with an eye bolt through the holes secured with Wing nuts for quick/tool-less removal. I use a similar method to secure the bottom of the bag to the luggage rack.

The wing nuts obviously go inside the bag so someone cant just twist them off. The eye bolts serve as an attachment point for a bungee cord for any additional bag thrown over the passenger seat

Lock down the bag, and your all set.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,731 Posts
yes. I am serious. around here nobody messes with anything on a bike.

Haha Yes really. I've had my old car broken into 3 times, and my tracker broken into once in the locked parking garage at my apartment. In Nov. there were two robberies in 2 weeks at the same gas station next door, by the same people both times, the second time they took the ATM and it was found in the stairwell of the parking garage. I saw the 3 guys running into the apartment building.

The problem for me with the trunk is I need more space than that on a 10 day ride where I'm also bringing along camera equipment as well as camping equipment.
just reminded me never to come visit you StonePoet! I have no need to be in those kind of neighborhoods. lol

yeah, I though the trunk might be a little small for what you were thinking/asking. but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways.
as for you 10 trip.....maybe you should head out this way (Ohio), that way you won't have to worry about locking anything up! lol

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Lol its not all bad up here I guess. I leave my jacket, helmet, and saddlebags on my bike all the time and no one messes with them. Heck, I've parked my bike in Detroit (not the nice section of downtown either) and no one has messed with it. Guess its all about what makes you feel the most comfortable.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,731 Posts
Hmmm...I'll bounce some ideas when you bring your bike over.
yup. M_Angel is a pretty smart guy. I'm sure he can come up with something that will work.

Lol its not all bad up here I guess. I leave my jacket, helmet, and saddlebags on my bike all the time and no one messes with them. Heck, I've parked my bike in Detroit (not the nice section of downtown either) and no one has messed with it. Guess its all about what makes you feel the most comfortable.
it's like when we took the kids to the Zoo many years ago. now at the Cleveland Zoo they have "picnic areas", these are places the have pavilions with picnic tables in them. people will bring their coolers and other picnic stuff and leave them at the tables, go check out the Zoo and come back hours later to have lunch.
well, as we were sitting there having our lunch, my wife started to talk to the women next to us. this woman was from NY. she told my wife that she just couldn't get over the fact that everyone just left their stuff alone at the tables and went off for hours. she told my wife that in NY. you had to your stuff with you or you'd come back and it would be gone! she said people would just take it or walk off with! my wife told the lady that it wasn't like that here. as she could see, nobody was taking anybody else's stuff.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just reminded me never to come visit you StonePoet! I have no need to be in those kind of neighborhoods. lol
haha it's not all bad, things have gotten a bit better, just left a bad taste ya know. I live in Ypsilanti which for the most part is not bad and cheaper than living in Ann Arbor, which is much safer, but I'm not about to pay Dallas prices for rent here in Michigan.

as for you 10 trip.....maybe you should head out this way (Ohio), that way you won't have to worry about locking anything up! lol
I'm actually going to be heading through Ohio the first day of the ride, as I'm going to Black Mountain, NC but stopping overnight in Lexington, KY How close are you to 75?

No one messed with it because there is no one in Detroit anymore (sorry couldn't resist) no really I love Detroit, maybe not as much as A2 but still love it it's just funny cause outside of Greek Town and Eastern Market I hardly see anyone there.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,731 Posts
yeah, I know not all of MI is bad. hell, there are lots of places here in Ohio you wouldn't want to break down in let alone go through. lol

as for how close am I to RT75? not close at all. I'm on the other side of the state east of Cleveland.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
My answer when I traveled was a bike cover.

Got a nice one from Wal-Mart. The cover had gromments on the bottom to go to elastic straps. I just took a small cable lock (made for a pistol) and ran it though the bottom gromments.
They'd have to cut the cover open to get to the bike....but then any bag offers the same problem even if its locked to the bike.... They could just cut it open.

The cover seems to remove temptation...
They won't steel it if they can't see it.....

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have a leather tail bag that expands and a roll bag that straps to the top of that.
Lots of buckles and loops to run a cable through and secure everything down to the rack and then a padlock at the bottom.
The zippers also have small padlocks on them.
Just having a visible lock pretty much deters anyone from snooping around too long.

I never had anyone mess with my stuff or my bike no matter where I went, but if they really wanted to take it, they would...even if they had to cut the bags open.

If you are that worried about theft, then I suggest you pack everything in a way that you could easily take it with you when you leave the bike. My saddle bags are removeable with a zipper and have a carry handle. My tail bag also has straps to throw over your shoulder like a backpack for portability.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My answer when I traveled was a bike cover.

Got a nice one from Wal-Mart. The cover had gromments on the bottom to go to elastic straps. I just took a small cable lock (made for a pistol) and ran it though the bottom gromments.
They'd have to cut the cover open to get to the bike....but then any bag offers the same problem even if its locked to the bike.... They could just cut it open.

The cover seems to remove temptation...
They won't steel it if they can't see it.....
That's a great idea, I really hadn't thought of that.

If you are that worried about theft, then I suggest you pack everything in a way that you could easily take it with you when you leave the bike. My saddle bags are removeable with a zipper and have a carry handle. My tail bag also has straps to throw over your shoulder like a backpack for portability.
Oh yeah my set up I plan to be able to have quick releases on all the bags, but when you are on a 10 day road trip there are going to be times where you have to stop somewhere and you can't tote your bags around.

I know a lock is only to get honest people out, and if someone really wants to take something they will, I just want to make it more difficult for them to do so, as well as give me a bit of piece of mind.

I'm actually looking in to getting the rlink (details below) installed, but it's is a bit costly, but with the perimeter sensors that could really be a scare someone off. Also I think it might help lower my insurance a well, plus well me being the techie I am I love the digital monitoring. I just wished they'd come out with an android app for the device as well.

http://scorpio.rlink.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=49

1 - 20 of 39 Posts