Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is an extremely stupid question, so I'm sorry for asking it, but I've tried my best to figure it out on my own.

What's the difference between the Park and Lock on the ignition module on our bikes?

To be honest, and sound stupid, this is my first bike and I didn't even realize what the lock did until I fooled around with it for a while one day. Park seems to lock the front wheel in place too?? Sooooo, what am I missing here? :)

Sorry, this is probably a stupidly obvious question.

"The taillight on function is the "park" setting on the ignition switch..which allows you to lock the steering , remove the key but leave the ""parking lights" on."

Is this the only real difference?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I think you have it figured out,the old voyager was the same way.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
"The taillight on function is the "park" setting on the ignition switch..which allows you to lock the steering , remove the key but leave the ""parking lights" on."

Is this the only real difference?
Yup. This is designed for you to momentarily pull over on the side of the road for whatever reason, say you needed to check your tires or re-secure something you tied to the rear rack for instance, and keep your tail light on for safety (visibility to upcoming traffic). The headlight does not shine, to save on your battery. If you want the headlight to shine you need to leave the bike running.

I've never used the PARK function. I would be more afraid of leaving in PARK and draining my battery. However, I have an LED board for my tail/brake light and I could probably leave it on overnight and not drain the battery. NOT going to test that out, though!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine does leave the headlight off until the engine catches, but if I use the kill switch to shut down and leave the ignition in the on position, it stays on. Is that not the way it's supposed to work?

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
When all else fails...read the instructions....=)

Page 23 of my VN750 owner's manual reads:

Lock: Steering locked. Engine off. All electrical circuits off.

P (Park): Steering locked. Engine off. Tail light and license plate light on. Turn signal circuit on. All other electrical circuits cut off.

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
Mine does leave the headlight off until the engine catches, but if I use the kill switch to shut down and leave the ignition in the on position, it stays on. Is that not the way it's supposed to work?
Yes, only because you are doing it wrong. You should not use the kill switch to shut off the motor. This is built as an "emergency stop" circuit, not somethng you are supposed to use all the time.

If you use the key switch like you are supposed to you turn off the motor and everything else , just like it was designed to do.

KM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts