Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should take delivery of my new 05, VN750 tomorrow , weather permitting. I will do the recommended electrical mods and degoating. I need to know where are the A/F mixture screws Are they behind a plug that has to be removed? Any photos available? Thanks for the help and info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is a picture of the carb with the idle adjustment screw plug removed.

I drilled very carefully in the center of the plug with a 1/16" bit then with ~1/4" bit.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sgt Mike said:
I should take delivery of my new 05, VN750 tomorrow , weather permitting. I will do the recommended electrical mods and degoating. I need to know where are the A/F mixture screws Are they behind a plug that has to be removed? Any photos available? Thanks for the help and info.
Sarge...
They are behind a plug. There are some excellent photos in Jax's file on Yahoo/photos.
Carefully remove the plugs, then turn the screws IN (clockwise) until they are gently seated.
Then back them out around 2 1/4 turns for starters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I just joined the other day. was looking for info about Carb adjust too. Say this post.

I went to JAX's yahoo page referenced. All I saw were photo albums of various Personal-travel, home project/family, etc.

There was nothing about VN750 maintenance.

Where Exactly can the photo be found that shows the steps on doing the carbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
O.K. I see.

However, I went by one of the dealers( Not the one with whom I currently do busines) to inquire, and the serv supper showed me the location. He asked and I told him that the dealer of purchase serv guy drilled the plug.

The defunk (out 0f business)dealer of purchase serv told me they drilled out the plugs and made A & F adjuntment, after my frequent B_ _, about the LOUD backfiring; it did help. But I didn't ask to see where they were located.
Thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
I must be blind as I didn't see it(the pictures) anybody got a digital camera to take a quick snapshop and post it here or send it to my e-mail? This popping is driving me crazy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also need help locating these screws. It will not allow me to look at the above posted link for pictures. Thanks in advance.

·
Geek
872 Posts
After removing the lead plug from the Idle mix screw, does it need to be re-plugged with something ? If so, what is good ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
They don't need to be replugged. The plugs are there to meet EPA regs.

·
Geek
872 Posts
Ok, thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
My local mechanic said the same about not needing to be repluged but said if I felt the need to a small dab of silicone to cover the opening wold do a good job.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Check if a pencil eraser (cut off from a new pencil) would work or a 1/4 inch plastic cap they sell at hardware stores (usually white, black, or chrome).

·
Registered
200 Posts
kornolio said:
What is the direction of rotation of the A/F screw to make the mixture more lean or rich? Thank you
Turning the screw OUT (CCW) will enrichen the mixture. I think it is set at ~1.5 turns out OE.
Start by turning it IN all the way till it is LIGHTLY seated, then back it out to about 2.5 turns out and go from there....then...

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520

·
Registered
19 Posts
ok, turning out the screw will make mix richer. In the thread about popping/backfiring someone suggested to unscrew it more out to reduce backfiring. As I understand it's gonna increase popping because the mix is gonna be richer than the factory values. What's the point?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The spring on the screw?

Turning the screw OUT (CCW) will enrichen the mixture. I think it is set at ~1.5 turns out OE.
Start by turning it IN all the way till it is LIGHTLY seated, then back it out to about 2.5 turns out and go from there....then...

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520
If you can feel a "springy" feeling or hear a springy sound when you turn the screw, does that mean something is broken inside? Or is that "normal".

Other than the "about 2.5 turns..." way of setting, is there any other way to know if it is "right"?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
If you can feel a "springy" feeling or hear a springy sound when you turn the screw, does that mean something is broken inside? Or is that "normal".

Other than the "about 2.5 turns..." way of setting, is there any other way to know if it is "right"?
There is a spring behind the screw, so I'd think the sound is normal.

As far as the 2.5 turns and being 'right'..... 2.5 is a starting point. Final amount to be determined by the bike running 'right'.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts