1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That, my friend, Is about the best invention sense sliced bread! I myself wear the florecent green shirt during hot Alabama summer months but my black leather jacket and chaps in the winter are the best safety item but biggest safety issue I can have for nightime as well as daytime.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Low tech version: Wear a white helmet!

The impact tech seems like it could have some great uses though.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
First off he didn't "invent" anything here, as there are a few helmet brake light systems on the market already...like this one:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/riderlight/

What he did do was apply different technology to the device. Bad part I see is you have to buy his helmet with the device "imbedded" in it....you could as mentioned just buy a Hi Vis helmet. Or the unit I linked to which attaches to the helmet you already have.

I think I already mentioned about a helmet sensor that not only knows if the rider experiances a life threatening impact, but actually calls for help.

So not new, but perhaps more improved. ANYTHING that makes a rider more visable to others on the road is always a good thing. I wish the guy good luck with his application. He will have to install it in a pretty damn good helmet for me to buy it however....I'm more likely to go with the one I linked to above.....

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off he didn't "invent" anything here, as there are a few helmet brake light systems on the market already...like this one:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/riderlight/

What he did do was apply different technology to the device. Bad part I see is you have to buy his helmet with the device "imbedded" in it....you could as mentioned just buy a Hi Vis helmet. Or the unit I linked to which attaches to the helmet you already have.

I think I already mentioned about a helmet sensor that not only knows if the rider experiances a life threatening impact, but actually calls for help.

So not new, but perhaps more improved. ANYTHING that makes a rider more visable to others on the road is always a good thing. I wish the guy good luck with his application. He will have to install it in a pretty damn good helmet for me to buy it however....I'm more likely to go with the one I linked to above.....
That's not the opinion of the US Patent Office. They issued him patent # 7,218,214. Obviously he invented something.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
That's not the opinion of the US Patent Office. They issued him patent # 7,218,214. Obviously he invented something.
Let's just say he's the only one smart enough to apply for a patent.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Actually if you read the article he didn't invent anything....he had an idea and the turned to someone else to come up with the technology to make it work. ;) So to me, they invented it....

There are millions of items out there that say "Patent Pending" some that do the same thing (like the wave of single cup coffee makers on the market now)

I wasn't trying to belittle the mans idea, just pointing out it was not as original and groundbreaking as the article made it sound.

Notice I didn't even say how stupid it was to wear a black helmet in the first place....:)

To be honest , I think the idea would be even better if there were lights on the sides and the front too....

And if memory serves me correctly, I suggested putting a yellow flashing rotating light on TOP of your helmet months ago.

I guess I should have applied for a patent......:)

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
To be honest , I think the idea would be even better if there were lights on the sides and the front too....

I was working on that same idea......

They do make a reflective "halo" for full face helmets.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

And if memory serves me correctly, I suggested putting a yellow flashing rotating light on TOP of your helmet months ago.
KM: Did you develop your NEW helmet (with bike) or are you in the process of modification of idea's suggested within your present helmet ?

WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
Registered
384 Posts
Both setups look like they would work. The battery issue will always plague good ideas such as these. Going with wires would be impossible, so it would be good if they could put rechargeable batteries in them, and have a small plug to charge them after a few days of riding.
IMHO flashing or pulsing brake lights would be the way to go. There are several vendors out there that offer them, but placement of extra brake lights has always been the issue.
Not to get off topic:
I ran across a car hauler a while back that had turn signals on both sides of the trailer that flashed 4 times then blinked in sequential order like the turn signals on an old Mercury Cougar. Caught my attention real quick. They were LED's and they were bright.
I haven't been able to find any online yet. They weren't that big, and they looked like they would fit in the back of a hard saddle bag, or with a little fab work, add them to either side of the fender.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
KM: Did you develop your NEW helmet (with bike) or are you in the process of modification of idea's suggested within your present helmet ?

I have no plans to add any lights to any helmet nor foresee buying a helmet with lights. The big reason is I don't ride at night. I have a HiVis yellow helmet I wear on cloudy days, (or early morning and dusk).

As I switch helmets a lot, I think having lights on the helmet is not as good as an idea as adding more lights to the bike itself. Nothing to move or mess with and accomplishes the same thing....and I get to wear whatever helmet I want.

I should point out that there's no guarantee that more lights will stop an inattentive driver from plowing into you. We had a lady ram the back of a police car here a few weeks ago... It was off to the side of the road with all it's lights flashing. :(

I think those that do ride at night should consider adding more lights... Be it on the bike or helmet. Wearing reflective gear and adding reflective tape to the bike too. The Vulcans tail light is not as bright as it should be in my opinion....so an extra brake/tail light would be a good move.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I agree KM
Which is why I have an extra LED brake light on the extended backrest and the license plate frame.....I added running lights to the rear blinkers...and added reflective tape to my helmets and my jacket already has reflective piping and logos on the sleeves and back.

I plan on also adding side lighting since the high visibility in front and rear are taken care of now, but the thaught of getting tagged from the side still concerns me when I cross intersections at night.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I think those that do ride at night should consider adding more lights... Be it on the bike or helmet. Wearing reflective gear and adding reflective tape to the bike too. The Vulcans tail light is not as bright as it should be in my opinion....so an extra brake/tail light would be a good move.
I do have two rapid Flashing LED modules (1"x1.5") (eight LED's each) mounted to my stock trunk which Flash with brakes. I intend to add two additional Running/Brake lights to the rear of my bike for added visibility (separate from mounted stock turn signals).
I have my old signals without the rotted rubber stalks to mount. Will install KC's Red LED inners.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts