Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've said, many motorcycle accidents are caused by the operator doing something stupid. Case and point: Saturday night a guy was drinking at a local establishment. About 1:00 AM he was about to get on the bike and go home, presumably. He was very intoxicated and several people pleaded with him to allow a friend to drive him home. He didn't want to leave his bike so he started home. Within a few miles he crossed the center line and hit a car head on. He was thrown about 40 feet and killed instantly. The car's driver swerved to avoid the motorcycle but was unable to. I guess the only positive out of this is he was on a bike instead in a car or truck so the people in the other vehicle were uninjured. Otherwise there may have been three fatalities.

Drinking and driving a car is bad enough. Drinking and trying to ride a bike is just stupid! Don't do it guys!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Shoot, it can be bad enough to avoid accidents being sober. Almost daily here in Jacksonville I can read the news about a motorcycle rider being killed.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
I have bad luck with soccer moms on their cell phones who can look right at me and not see me in the middle of the day

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just cause I think everybody is out to get me,doesn't mean they aren't.
So be prepared, just like the boy scout.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Shoot, it can be bad enough to avoid accidents being sober. Almost daily here in Jacksonville I can read the news about a motorcycle rider being killed.
At least one + fatal/near fatal per week (on average) here in Metro Phoenix.....4-10 lane mostly straight highways @ 80 mph.....commuter traffic, mostly involving rush hour (6-9 am & 3-7 pm) .....normally fatal or near fatal.

Very few MC accidents in this area are rural.........all- local rides (3-5 per week) are scheduled-ed/programed rural rides (with curves and knolls LOL).

:smiley_th

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
I have bad luck with soccer moms on their cell phones who can look right at me and not see me in the middle of the day

I am both terrified and fascinated at this phenomena. I have seen this soooo many times. I am the guy riding the motorcycle with the flashing high beams. I flash that sucker constantly on my way to work.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since we're on the subject of being seen, I'd like you guy's opinion on something. I've added a super bright strobing brake light on the trunk just above the reflector. I really think it goes a long way toward getting the attention of someone approaching from behind. If I'm stopped and see traffic approaching from behind I pull the front brake lever to make the strobe come on and people really start to slow down. Turn signals don't seem to make people back up but the strobe does. So here's what I've considered doing... adding a white strobe on the front under the headlight and wiring it across the high beam circuit. I always use high beam when in traffic so the strobe would be flashing. I don't usually ride at night so I'm thinking I'd just use low beam if I am out after dark. You sure wouldn't want that flashing at night. My other thought was to put a switch on the handlebar to turn the strobe on and off as needed. What do you guys think? By the way, current draw on the strobe is minimal, about 110 mils so we don't have to worry about the electrical system.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
I have noticed this too and have been meaning to comment on here. At least 1 accident a day for the past few weeks.... did you hear about the guy on the Goldwing that rear ended a dump truck?

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Since we're on the subject of being seen, I'd like you guy's opinion on something. I've added a super bright strobing brake light on the trunk just above the reflector. I really think it goes a long way toward getting the attention of someone approaching from behind. If I'm stopped and see traffic approaching from behind I pull the front brake lever to make the strobe come on and people really start to slow down. Turn signals don't seem to make people back up but the strobe does. So here's what I've considered doing... adding a white strobe on the front under the headlight and wiring it across the high beam circuit. I always use high beam when in traffic so the strobe would be flashing. I don't usually ride at night so I'm thinking I'd just use low beam if I am out after dark. You sure wouldn't want that flashing at night. My other thought was to put a switch on the handlebar to turn the strobe on and off as needed. What do you guys think? By the way, current draw on the strobe is minimal, about 110 mils so we don't have to worry about the electrical system.

Yep. I have the helmet with the wireless brake light. ALso, I seem to have more issues with people in front not in back. Thinking about that Screaming Banshee horn.
http://screaming-banshee.com/

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I am both terrified and fascinated at this phenomena. I have seen this soooo many times. I am the guy riding the motorcycle with the flashing high beams. I flash that sucker constantly on my way to work.
I may be mistaken but I think flashing highbeams can get you a ticket in NJ. Not sure. Great idea though. If you want 100% attention given to your ride, wrap yourself in money. Godless bastards! hahahaha

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
I may be mistaken but I think flashing highbeams can get you a ticket in NJ. Not sure. Great idea though. If you want 100% attention given to your ride, wrap yourself in money. Godless bastards! hahahaha
I'm in South Carolina but I wouldn't Give a rats ass what the cops thought about it. Didn't mean that to sound snide. Just that my safety would come first before offending someone.

I also now, do not pull away from the drive through without first checking to make sure my order is correct. :) I also do not park and wait for my order. If they ask me to park, I ask for a refund. usually they prefer to just hurry up than do a refund.

·
4,508 Posts
I picked up a very bright Strobe-ing Light...1.5" x 3.0" size ...white stobe-ing light with clear lens, with thoughts of mounting as an extra brake light (covered with Red lens repair tape of course).
Presently, I have an 8 red LED flashing unit (.75" x 1.5" size) mounted above the trunk (near top of sissy bar).

Instead, Maybe I should try mounting it as a white strobe-ing light under my headlight with a handlebar momentary contact switch....

·
200% senile
164 Posts
I picked up a very bright Strobe-ing Light...1.5" x 3.0" size ...white stobe-ing light with clear lens, with thoughts of mounting as an extra brake light (covered with Red lens repair tape of course).
Presently, I have an 8 red LED flashing unit (.75" x 1.5" size) mounted above the trunk (near top of sissy bar).

Instead, Maybe I should try mounting it as a white strobe-ing light under my headlight with a handlebar momentary contact switch....

Like both yours and rsavant's idea of having something up front to get extra attention when needed. On a switch of course. I like the "handlebar momentary contact switch" idea a lot.
Thought about the pulsing headlight but they confuse some people.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The brake light strobe I'm using has a clear lens but red LED's. it can be programmed with 20 different patterns. I settled on five really quick flashes with about a half second pause between sequences.

·
4,508 Posts
The brake light strobe I'm using has a clear lens but red LED's. it can be programmed with 20 different patterns. I settled on five really quick flashes with about a half second pause between sequences.
I like that....better than my (cheaper) set-up.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
The last guy that did that now works for allstate doing commercials.lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts