Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the town where I work, I noticed many spots that are too small or inaccessible for cars to park in, but would be just fine for motorcycle parking. I'm working on a project to demonstrate the feasibility of changing these spots over to motorcycle parking. My value proposition is that right now I am parking in a car spot, denying a car of that spot. AND since I don't want someone to whip into the spot quickly and knock over my bike, I park in the back center of the spot. This means it can't even be shared by another motorcycle.

So changing each of these 40+ dead space areas over to motorcycle parking means up to 40+ car spots gained. Actually, a few of the spots could hold up to 4 motorcycles, so even more spots gained!

Each day that I have ridden to work, I have somehow managed to capture a picture of someone's bike "parked" in one of my proposed spots. I'm not going to say who's bike it is. However, this shows the spot as it would be used, with no loss of sidewalk access or hinderance to cars or anything.

I don't expect I'll get all 40+ spots, but even getting a couple would be a win for me and bikers in the area!

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Philly has designated scooter/motorcycle parking throughout the center city district. There usually grouped to hold up to 6-8 bikes. The only caveat is you have a flat rate of $5.40. Regardless if you stay there for 12min or up to 12hrs. But that’s still 60 cents cheaper tgg he an public transportation. Up and back. So as long as I have no plans for happy hour and the temp is above freezing I’ll ride in. Of course my office has been closed for a year and a half but expected to reopen in fall.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I usually just park in spots like you’re doing, most people don’t seem to mind. Then again I’m in FL where space isn’t at a huge premium, New Englanders might be in a tighter squeeze and more prone to fines

1 - 3 of 3 Posts